New plasterboard ceiling is up...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I just finished putting up a new plasterboard ceiling in my kitchen - I intend to get my plasterer to skim the whole thing but before doing so should I use jointing tape and jointing plaster or is the same effect and strength achieved when he scrims and skims?[/u]

Sponsored Links
Leave it all for the plasterer. He'll do all the prep. As has been said on here before, if you prep the job for the plasterer and it goes pear shaped, who ya gonna blame? Plus there's no saving to be made financialy by you doing the prep.

Leave it all for the plasterer. He'll do all the prep. As has been said on here before, if you prep the job for the plasterer and it goes pear shaped, who ya gonna blame? Plus there's no saving to be made financialy by you doing the prep.

Thanks for your quick reply. I do trust my plasterer but its a big ceiling and I want to make sure that he's doing it right. If you were doing it, would you just scrim and skim or would you use a jointing mix first, let it dry, then skim?

Everyone has their own way of prepping/skimming new plasterboard. I always do it the way you suggested,,, tape all the joints, fill the bevels in the boards flush,, fill every screw head, then leave the ceiling/walls to dry.

I also, (always) use 2 coats of bonding coat onto new/old boards, then skim with 2 coats of multi, always have,, (plasterboard float and set), it takes longer to do, and costs more to do, but you'll never see any sign of a joint, nor any sign of a screw/nail head, plus it gives you a chance to straighten out any bad, uneven wall etc.
If you're confident you can prep the ceiling the way you suggested, then go for it, but have a word with the plasterer first, telling him your plan. Let's know how you get on. ;)

Sponsored Links
Everyone has their own way of prepping/skimming new plasterboard. I always do it the way you suggested,,, tape all the joints, fill the bevels in the boards flush,, fill every screw head, then leave the ceiling/walls to dry.

I also, (always) use 2 coats of bonding coat onto new/old boards, then skim with 2 coats of multi, always have,, (plasterboard float and set), it takes longer to do, and costs more to do, but you'll never see any sign of a joint, nor any sign of a screw/nail head, plus it gives you a chance to straighten out any bad, uneven wall etc.
If you're confident you can prep the ceiling the way you suggested, then go for it, but have a word with the plasterer first, telling him your plan. Let's know how you get on. ;)

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it. Just to confirm, if I were to prep with jointing compound, would I not be better using Scrim rather than Tape so that the jointing mix goes through the scrim and deep into the joint?

Having spoken with the plasterer, he's already said that he'll be putting two coats of Multi on - he's very good and competent, but I'm always anxious when getting someone else to do a job :) I'll put to him my idea for prep as soon as its confirmed here :D

Plasterboard's a doddle. Self adhesive scrim, pasterbaord adhesive over that. When set just a couple of coats of multi. Smooth out but don't polish it. Job done.

Plasterboard's a doddle. Self adhesive scrim, pasterbaord adhesive over that. When set just a couple of coats of multi. Smooth out but don't polish it. Job done.

Sounds good - so you'd use Scrim over Tape? Also, do you place the scrim flat across the joins or push it a little into the gap itself? I've left 3mm in most parts.

Yes that's a good idea, I usually fill the gaps with addy first - then scrim then addy again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back