plaster drying too quick

G

george765

I am an old git who has learnt to plaster a bit over the years. I am in the process of skimming some small walls within my house with multifinish.
I am not very quick and tire soon. How can I get the first coat of multifinish to dry slower giving me more time ?
I already coat the wall with 1-5 solution of PVA. Is there anything else I can do ?
thanks in advance,
George

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you are getting too much suction. PVA is usually applied in 50:50 proportions or at least 3:1 water to PVA.

Apply the first coat and let it dry then apply the second coat, and begin plastering when the second coat is tacky.

Only work on small panels or walls one at a time - always turn back and finish what you are working on before going on to the next bit.

Any delays or tiredness then wash your tools and board and have a time out. If you can get a helper, say a grandchild, to clean and carry. Thats when they aren't working their phone and the radio.

If the coat already on the wall is pretty bad then maybe post a pic of it on here for some possible solutions.

thanks ree,
would you do both coats of PVA at 50-50 ?
My results aren't too bad but it's just the speed I have a problem with.

No, truth is i've often watered it down 3 or 4 to one for the tacky coat but why not experiment on a small area?

If you are slow because of aches and pains then there's not much to be done beyond getting a helper. If you are slow because of technique then you can only do your best on small areas at a time.

Given what you say, why not get a plasterer in to skim the ceilings before any more walls are skimmed? You could watch ?

Sponsored Links
You've been a great help Ree,thanks very much. My wife helps me by washing tools and changing water buckets, your right, no good asking g/children as they have there noses stuck to those I phone things all the time, drives me mad lol.
just one more question....Do you ever wet or PVA plaster board before plastering ?

If there is any heating in the room turn it off. Open the windows for 24 hours
to introduce some damp air . The damper the better.
Suction on plaster boards does increase the longer they are in a dry warm room . Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back