plaster falling off after painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so we started painting the walls we have just had replastered. Some of the plaster has started to blow.

Did we not leave it long enough before painitng? Three days? :(

What should i do?

Sponsored Links
Three days :eek: Ideally 6 weeks :!:
I would hold fire for awhile and see what happens with the rest of the wall.
Is it the plaster that is blowing or the paint that is blistering?

Three days :eek: Ideally 6 weeks :!:
I would hold fire for awhile and see what happens with the rest of the wall, but for now remove the areas where paint/plaster has blistered and patch up.

Blimey i think we might have been over keen with getting on with the painting. Im gonna leave what i have done for now and give it some time before picking off whats blown. Its not a massive amount, just around the fireplace opening.

:oops:

Was it pale pink? If so it's simply bad prep by the plasterer.

Sponsored Links
Was it pale pink? If so it's simply bad prep by the plasterer.

Yeah was def a pale looking pink colour. The actual part that was plastered was the edging around the opening of our fireplace but the plasterer put more on over existing sound wall around the outside of the opening if that makes sense?

Cant see the photo, but I have had the ceilings in two bedrooms reskimmed, one over the old plaster, one overboarded first. Both where painted 24hours after the plaster went up, after a day with fans on it, 90% pink but still brown in the corners, mist coat, top coat, re rolled in thin areas.

Not ideal, but it was fine.

Not a plaster expert, but it sounds like there is more to it than painting it too soon. 6 weeks might be right for 'conventional plaster' but seems long for reskim or going over plasterboard.

What work was actually done, what what the substright.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back