Plaster skim coat falling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, hoping I can get some advice pls!

Recently had flat reskimmed by a professional plasterer. Have painted two rooms so far and in one of them, there are areas where the plaster seems to be coming off the walls. Trying to find out what the cause is and so what action I can take.

Details:

Property type: 1960s council block flat

Plastering details: Complete reskim of walls and ceiling after stripping old wallpaper from previous owner. Plastering was done by a professional. Plaster was left to dry approx 3 weeks in shortest case and over 6 weeks in longest in each room before applying mist coat. Plaster was uniform pink when mist-coat was applied, but had numerous dark stains where paint had difficulty adhering. From reading other peoples posts online we thought these were PVA splashes or over polish.

Mist coat: Did 2 mist coats of approx 50/50 white emulsion/water using breathable Leyland contract matt. Left to dry 24hrs between coats. (Did 2 mist coats to try and cover up aforementioned patches)

Paint: In the toilet room where the plaster is coming away, applied 2 coats of undiluted Leyland contract matt. Have painted one other room so far with Dulux, no sign of any probs so far.

After drying, noticed the paint had areas that were cracked and looked like large air bubbles underneath. When touched, the paint + what appears to be plaster started coming off in large thick flakes (see photos).

I've gone round the rest of the flat and tapped on all the skimmed surfaces listening for hollow spots. May be being paranoid but there seem to be lots everywhere.

Questions:

From the photos, am I correct in thinking that the plaster is coming off with the paint?
Could I have done something wrong with the painting, or is this a problem with the plastering job, or some other cause? Are there any other causes, e.g. damp, I should eliminate before contacting the plaster?
If it is a bad plastering job, what recourse do I have with the plasterer - e.g. can I reasonably expect a refund or for them to make right at their expense?
Is it worth getting another plasterer to check the rest of the work in case the whole lot needs redoing?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
As Ree said, bad prep!! You can't trust "any"of the new plastering if it's coming off that easy. You'll need to get the plasterer back to talk over this problem with him. Let us know how you get on.

Thank Ree and Roughcaster! Really appreciate the advice.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Ok thanks, will give the plasterer a call!

Sponsored Links
I know I say this often, but if you rub all over the wall/s with the back of you hand/fingernails, you'll hear any loose areas of plaster as clear as anything. It'll sound,, well, "hollow". ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back