Plasterboard - Fitting small bits of board straight to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had mixed feedback on this. Hopefully a helpful expert on here will be able to help me! I have pulled my old 1930s skirting off the wall. Behind the skirting is the original brick. I now need to attach small strips of plasterboard (probably 4 inches in height) to cover up the exposed bricks ready for a skim at the weekend.

What is the easiest way for me to attach these strips to the wall? As these strips are small will a suitable off the shelf cartridge of glue do the job? Any particular ones I need? Gripfill ok? And do I need to do any prepping of the wall?

I am aware the best practice would be to mix up dry wall adhesive and then dot and dab, but I am hopping as this board is small there is an easy quick solution.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Drywall is dead cheap and useful around the place. Is this first floor btw?

I can't see how using dry wall adhesive would be any more difficult than using grip fill or other type of glue. In fact it'll probably be easier as you will have more 'bulk' in the adhesive and thus will be easier to adjust the plasterboard to the right depth to meet the rest of the wall. It can be mixed in a bucket in 2 mins flat.

If you're getting someone in to skim the walls, just get them to use bonding coat on the gap - that would be a better long term solution.

Yes this is first floor.

I did not want to get him to put bonding on as I want him to complete the room in a day. If I get him to bond onto the bare brick, surly it will need time to dry?

To be fair I have always taken the some what unconfirmed assumption that dry wall is a pain to use and mix up. Maybe I am wrong? Is it easy to mix up without any mixing equipment?

Sponsored Links
drywall adhesive is easier to mix up that skim imho. I've used a wooden batten to mix up small, fairly thick amounts before, purely for using as adhesive for plasterboard....or for filling smallish areas.

If your skimmer was to bond the gaps, its wouldn't take long to dry, could still be skimmed the same day.
Actually, i think its preferable to skim whilst the bond is tacky. But a pro will confirm or deny this.

Drywall is the same to mix as Polyfilla - and does a better job. You can skim bonding same day too.

As the others have said, dry wall adhesive is easy. I have always mixed it in a bucket with a piece of wood or a trowel.

Get your plaster to bond it if possible.

Either way, ensure that you brush the brockwork and then pva it and let it dry before trying to stick anything to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back