Render and abutment lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I need some advice. My property is built up against a three storey property (side elevation). My property party wall to the three storey is saturated. The render to the adjoining property is in poor order, above my extension, where my wall is saturated. I deem rain has been entering the large cracks in the render to the adjoining property and saturating the party wall. Finally the owners of the adjoining property have renewed their render after over a year of arguments. I am trying to claim third party damage but the owners of the third party property are blaming my roofer, saying that when they removed the render, the lead abutment to my extension, lead under the render and bellmouth was not chased into their side elevation therefore because the lead was not chased in under the render the rain has been entering via the lead. Is this likley to be true if indeed the lead was never chased into to the side elevation. They state the lead was nailed to the bricks and then the render applied over the top of the lead. But surely their side elevation would be saturated during prolonged rain, which we had on many occasions over the past year, and the saturation of the bricks above has leached down to what is in effect a party wall, my walls are saturated from floor to ceiling height? can anyone advise if i am on a no win situation here?
:rolleyes: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Lead is water proof and also can be set in mortar ,which they did many years ago before beads were used. I have worked on buildings that had lead (soakers) going up an abutting wall that were mortared in and cut slates were fixed up the abuttment with mortar and overlapped to create a drip bead. You try getting mortar off a piece of lead that has been bedded in with mortar..You will find that that lead is "scored" with a sharp point before the mortar was put on it .Other words giving the mortar a "key" to the lead....I still use that method now when needs must....I will also add that if there was large cracks in the render then the rain would be getting in there and going behind your lead work (wether it was chased in or not!!)

Many thanks,

So, forgive me i am female and you may have to reply in simpler terms! to add more info, my extension roof was renewed approximately 2 years ago, my roofer then removed some of the neighbours render above the abutment to fit new lead but so say my roofer never chased the lead in to the adjoining neighbours elevation, but nailed it in then applied new render over the lead. My neighbour i assume is deeming that rain that bypasses the cracks in their render has tracked down, identified lead not chased but simply nailed and entered into my walls over time, so are they correct in that if my lead was chased the rain that had entered the bad cracks in the render would never have come through? and i am up the creek?
:confused:

Jolou";p="2347223 said:
Many thanks,

So, forgive me i am female and you may have to reply in simpler terms! to add more info, my extension roof was renewed approximately 2 years ago, my roofer then removed some of the neighbours render above the abutment to fit new lead but so say my roofer never chased the lead in to the adjoining neighbours elevation, but nailed it in then applied new render over the lead. My neighbour i assume is deeming that rain that bypasses the cracks in their render has tracked down, identified lead not chased but simply nailed and entered into my walls over time,

( so are they correct in that if my lead was chased the rain that had entered the bad cracks in the render would never have come through? and i am up the creek?)

No you are not up the creek If the lead had been chased in it would not have made any difference. The only way the water could not have gone past the leadwork would have been if there was a DPC tray at that level .Chased in or not the water would travel through the cracks and soak the wall.

Sponsored Links
roy c";p="2347227 said:
Many thanks,

So, forgive me i am female and you may have to reply in simpler terms! to add more info, my extension roof was renewed approximately 2 years ago, my roofer then removed some of the neighbours render above the abutment to fit new lead but so say my roofer never chased the lead in to the adjoining neighbours elevation, but nailed it in then applied new render over the lead. My neighbour i assume is deeming that rain that bypasses the cracks in their render has tracked down, identified lead not chased but simply nailed and entered into my walls over time,

( so are they correct in that if my lead was chased the rain that had entered the bad cracks in the render would never have come through? and i am up the creek?)

No you are not up the creek If the lead had been chased in it would not have made any difference. The only way the water could not have gone past the leadwork would have been if there was a DPC tray at that level .Chased in or not the water would travel through the cracks and soak the wall.

I would also get in touch with your roofer, and if he has done the job correct then he will have no qualms arguing his corner for you ....

Thank you Roy,

Yes i am in the process of tracking down the roofer, typically, you dont tend to need a roofer again and again and i know he has moved since the two years he fitted my roof, but i am close to finding him through other contacts. The job he did on the roof was superb visually, so when the bomb was dropped on me by the neighbours about the method of lead fitting, i was devastated and really did believe it to be true because it was their builder stating his case but the more i tried to envisage rain entering the cracks and travelling down the bricks all the way to the lead the more i found it hard to believe. The large cracks to their render were some one storey higher but very bad, i could not see rain tracking this far down the concealed brick surface to my lead abutment but simply leaching into the bricks, furthermore their property is very old and when the render was removed the bricks were in poor order. I also understand that old buildings are normally rendered when the bricks are no longer water tight so i assumed my theory in basic was correct in that the bricks were saturated. I am guessing that the lead would have to be chased deep through the entire brick work to stop it coming down to my party wall area, even then the moisture has to go somewhere. :)

Also, could someone , possibly you roy, advice what depth lead is supposed to be chased into walls when forming an abutment, 15mm / 20mm?

I usually chase the wall out 25mm which is plenty....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back