Skimming textured ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to skim a lightly textured ceiling (probably rollered artex) that has several coats of emulsion.

Looking through other threads it seems the process is to pva, use a bonding coat then the skim. I'm assuming the emulsion is already providing a suction barrier so would I need one or two coats of pva?

Secondly, the old gap tapes need to come down which I replace with fibreglass tape. I assume I pva before putting the new tape on? Are there any other precautions to take to prepare the different surfaces?

Sponsored Links
When dealing with different surfaces you need to get the suction the same across the whole surface- so more PVA than less until it is all the same. then PVA and skim whilst tacky.

I would go with Bondit or WBA rather than PVA as it wil be easier for you to do, and you only have to do it once and forget about it once it is dried.

Agreed on using the grit gear over pva, give it a tight coat of bonding, perhaps mix it with multi if it doesnt need to be too deep and once it's firmed up coat it with two coats of multi.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your replies. Using a grit bonding coat meant the first coat went on easily (today).

Unfortunately I wasn't able to start a second coat immediately so the next question is - When I get back to it tomorrow, should the second coat still go on ok or is there another step I need to do for it to work?

You cant do two coats of multi in separate sessions. Or are you saying you only got the bonding on. Either way it'll need PVA'ing and two coats of multi finish

You cant do two coats of multi in separate sessions. Or are you saying you only got the bonding on. Either way it'll need PVA'ing and two coats of multi finish

No, I got to the point of one coat of finish. So it seems I need to start again. Oh well.

Supplementary question. Doing the first coat took 4 lots of 5kg. My lack of experience meant that by the time I was nearing the end of a bucket it was starting to go off. Add the cleaning and mixing and each bucket probably took over 3/4 of an hour.

I realise that for the first coat, the finish is not that critical but when I get to the second coat, I will need to go back and smooth it over. How much time does it allow between application and smoothing?

I am looking to skim a lightly textured ceiling (probably rollered artex) that has several coats of emulsion.

Looking through other threads it seems the process is to pva, use a bonding coat then the skim. I'm assuming the emulsion is already providing a suction barrier so would I need one or two coats of pva?

Secondly, the old gap tapes need to come down which I replace with fibreglass tape. I assume I pva before putting the new tape on? Are there any other precautions to take to prepare the different surfaces?

Yellow pages........plasterer......call................get quote............ job done properly.

2 coat skimming needs to be done all in one, ie pva the ceiling again, wait until its tacky.
1st coat of multi on, wash kit then level out.
As its starting to take up a bit mix 2nd coat, slightly wetter and get it on.
Wash the kit, start troweling, clean edges etc.
You will have to go over it a couple of times, troweling up.
If its setting to quick flick a bit of water on with a brush or some use a spray bottle.

Yellow pages........plasterer......call................get quote............ job done properly.

Splutter... That would mean paying somebody.

Talking about doing it properly, the house was built in 1973. The only way of doing a proper job would be to reduce it to hardcore and start again.

Sorry to jump in on thread, but i am in the same process. Is it really necessary to put bonding coat on first over artex if artex has been scraped flat? Also i have quite a big ceiling to do is there any way of slowing down the process of plaster going off, as i am not the quickest.

Thx

Sorry to jump in on thread, but i am in the same process. Is it really necessary to put bonding coat on first over artex if artex has been scraped flat? Also i have quite a big ceiling to do is there any way of slowing down the process of plaster going off, as i am not the quickest.

Thx

You can ****** Thistle plaster by adding some lime to it. Multi is Carlite based so you can't add lime to ****** it.

Is it really necessary to put bonding coat on first over artex if artex has been scraped flat? Also i have quite a big ceiling to do is there any way of slowing down the process of plaster going off, as i am not the quickest.

Thx
no its not necessary to use bonding, 2 coats of multi should do it , throw a handful of board addy in with the finish as use for a retarder

Is it really necessary to put bonding coat on first over artex if artex has been scraped flat? Also i have quite a big ceiling to do is there any way of slowing down the process of plaster going off, as i am not the quickest.

Thx
no its not necessary to use bonding, 2 coats of multi should do it , throw a handful of board addy in with the finish as use for a retarder

Board adhesive to ******? You are having a laugh, right?

Thx

Board adhesive to ******? You are having a laugh, right?
no
"EDIT" heres a link to a thread from a couple of years back
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1602038#1602038

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back