Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,im new on here so please be patient!!! I want to put a stud wall up between 2 existing parts of a brick wall,I had originally knocked the majority out to form an archway between 2 rooms.Everywhere ive looked,ie youtube videos they all say use 4 x 2 timber but the bricks that im going to tie the timber too are just under 4 1/4" in width,approx 105mm.Can anyone help me with any way of doing this as i cannot find any timber the correct size that will bring mw flush with the brick work so i can then plaster board the lot before having it skimmed!! Any help,ideas would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You can use 3"x2" carcassing for your stud work then 12.5 plaster board on both sides if it fallls short of your brickwork give it a coat of bonding and skim it to bring it level with your existing wall ;)

Hi,i take it then i would just cover the whole area in new plasterboard before having it skimmed? Sorry should have said the existing brick walls are stripped back to bare brick!!

In which case you should make sure that you put a good strong scrim cloth where the boards meet the brick work. Half on the board and half on the brick work to stop it cracking later on.

A good quality strong hessian scrim cloth is what we used to use, but beware, i have seen some cheap and nasty hessian scrim knocking around and it aint worth a light.

Sponsored Links
Nobody uses hessian - use fibreglass.

I "always"use hessian scrim to to tie in a stud wall to a brick/block wall too. I've used it for the best part of 48 years of plastering, (not the same roll though, ha ha),, and honestly, i'm "never" without a couple of rolls of it in my van,, i've said that before on here 3 or 4 years ago.
Most of the tape i use nowadays "is" fibreglass, and have no problem with it at all,, i'll also use paper tape from time to time, but old methods/materials die hard, and from experience,, people will "always" stick to what they know will work. Like Zandap though, without any hesitation, i'd go for a strong, good quality 3" hessian scrim to tie in the corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back