thick plaster coat to hide rising damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removing some plaster of an old terrace house is proving to be more problematic than I initially thought.
Hacking the plaster from about 1m up from the floor level is relatively easy (the plaster is probably a lime mixture) on the lower area the plaster is very hard and I believe there was a damp issue which was "corrected" somehow...
Reading some articles about managing rising damp in old building I'm getting the idea that is probably better to remove the plaster anyway and try to address the damp problem (if any) in another way.
Letting the old wall "breath" freely can be a solution but I'm planning to cover the same with insulated plasterboard with dot and dab or low expansion foam. Could this be a solution to let a bit of air running freely behind the insulated boards? Maybe there's going to be a 10mm gap due from irregularities of the wall and the unevenness of the fixing method used.
Any suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Having a gap between wall and board will allow for some ventilation.
But as you have stated, first task is to investigate in to any further damp issues.

Having a gap between wall and board will allow for some ventilation.
But as you have stated, first task is to investigate in to any further damp issues.

So, even a small gap is useful then....maybe it's worth planning ahead in how to use the low expansion foam (no problem with dot and dab) - i.e. ideally the foam sealant should allow a continuous stream of air, so the moisture is free to circulate from the bottom to the top of the wall?

About the damp issues:
This is a double leaf brick wall - there are holes drilled at about 100mm from the floor which suggest some silicone injection treatment. The bonding between the bricks and the plaster is really strong - the surface of the bricks isn't exactly damp but darker than usual but maybe this is because moisture wasn't allowed to escape....in a few days maybe they'll regain the original colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back