Tips for Plastering whole house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm renovating a house in Devon that i"ve just bought and basically everything needs to be done. New bathroom, kitchen, heating, electrics etc.

It seems so far I've been burned a couple of times with people not doing the best job, but only realising at the end, after they've taken shortcuts based on me not being specific enough with my brief.

My question is what tips would you give me for making sure a plasterer is quoting me properly.

Its a 3 bed house and I've taken down all the ceilings and a couple of lathe and plaster walls. I'll be doing all the boarding myself so am basically looking for a plasterer to come in and skim the whole house.

What should I be making sure beforehand and what is the limit I should expect to pay to skim an entire 3 bed house?

Sponsored Links
Make sure your boarding is spot on, make sure that any walls you are overskimming arny blown. Overskim on lime can crack on occasions, make sure theres no damp either.

You want to get a feel for the person quoting, gut instinct is best but always get a minimum of three quotes and ALWAYS ask to see some work they have done recently and speak to some past customers for references too.

Thanks for the reply. Any specific tips for the process he should use or materials. People seem to debate a method in just about every trade so I'd like to be aware of the 'best' way and the 'cheap' way, if it applies, so I can compare apples to apples when getting quotes.

Sponsored Links
There really is only one way to skim a wall, just a case of being good at it. As suggested get a few quotes and ask friends and family for recommendations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back