Uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

On saturday I skimmed a wall but looking at it the top half slopes backwards!

unevenwall1.jpg

Now I intend to fix it and get it level-ish, but I'm in two minds on how to do it. Do I:

1. Hack off the multi finish back to the Hardwall, apply another coat or two of Hardwall to bring it up to level and then skim wall

or

2. Apply two or three coats of mult finish on top of the skim, bring it level and then skim wall?

However a wardrobe will be put there so I'm not fussed about irregularities at the bottom. The top half of the wall will still be visible though.

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Apply PVA first.

Ok thanks for your help. So let me get this straight - hack off skim back to backing plaster? apply PVA, bring upto level with Hardwall then skim!

So far I've skimmed 2 walls and they have been fine. This is the first time I've had to add more Hardwall to level things up after I've skimmed!

Phil

Put a long level in the corner and get it level then put a pencil line up and use that as a guide, just work to the line... ;)

Put a long level in the corner and get it level then put a pencil line up and use that as a guide, just work to the line... ;)

Well to be honest i did think of that, great minds think alike :D

Just another quick question...when i removed the old skirting boards theres a gap at the bottom of the wall. I just need to stick some plaster there for the new skirtings to stick to. However does it matter if its hardwall or multi finish?

Thanks, Phil

Just use hardwall if you have it. Try your new skirting in posistion you might not need anything behind it, fix it and caulk the top if it's not too big a gap....

If you have to put hardwall on it ,trowel it on and get yourself a short piece of wood to screed it. Keep the wood tight to the plaster above skirtin' height and with a sawing action move along the wall and take any excess plaster off where the skirt will fit and fix skirts on when dry ,No probs... ;)You could use Sticks like Sh## adhesive.. Probably the best adhesive on the market. You can also get clear stuff now....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back