Wall vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, there is a wall vent in the room I wil be skimming. I want to remove it as it lets in so much air it chills the room! Question is can/should I and do I need to replace with bricks or would I get away with plasterboard or a piece of ply? The room has a window so I was wondering why the need for the vent anyway. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
By doing away with this, you are going to incounter problems in the future, that vent would be there forva reason! There could be manybreasons, but w ould need to know more , age of house, type of construction, what room.
Why not fit onevthat you can open and close?

Filthyturk are you a plasterer? Because you seem to have started quite a lot of threads about doing walls/ceilings/harling etc etc. If you are a plasterer then you should know the answer to the questions you have asked. Its common sense. My gut feeling tells me you are either a courser or someone who has picked up a trowel and thought it was easy so now charging customers without even knowing what your doing.

I would swap the vent for one that closes or opens depending what you want. As its there for a reason.

As for what others have put, you seem to know what your doing, so are you a plasterer? or just having a try at it? Nothing wrong with it, thats how we all started, but you should really know that the vent needs to stay--because its "working" as you say its letting cold air in. Itll stop condensation, i only wish more houses had vents like that, then there would not be as much mould and damp everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Filthyturk are you a plasterer? Because you seem to have started quite a lot of threads about doing walls/ceilings/harling etc etc. If you are a plasterer then you should know the answer to the questions you have asked. Its common sense. My gut feeling tells me you are either a courser or someone who has picked up a trowel and thought it was easy so now charging customers without even knowing what your doing.

In answer to your question, no I am not a plasterer. I already have a job that I love and don't intend on changing profession. I did do a 5 day course to learn the basics so I could use the new skills in my own home. I will admit I do ask a lot of questions hence the amount of posts on the subject. I can understand where you're coming from in suggesting I may be trying it on, but I can assure you after what I've attempted and achieved, I am most definately not one of those that picks up a trowel and thinks it's easy. The question about the wall vent was cos I honestly didn't know and that is what I thought this forum was about, I have a baby in that room and it gets very cold. Anyway, from the advice given, I will be fitting an adjustable vent on this occasion And look forward to your help/advice in future as I have lots and lots to ask on the subject :D

what i think he was getting at mate is people who do a course and are then "plasterers". Which give us plasterers a bad name, as they dont do a very good job and we get "tarred"

You carry on mate and ask what ever, if you dont ask you wont find out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back