Will keeping the coving look OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a new house with coving in most rooms which we quite like. There is old-fashioned patterned artex on most of the ceilings. We are getting quotes for plastering all the ceilings. The plasterer has suggested keeping the coving and plastering up to it. Presumably, taking it down and putting up new coving will be much more expensive.

Will it look OK if we loose some of the top of the coving and is it a normal thing to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Totally depends on how deep your artex is. Normal coving ( m looking up in my living room ) has about 3/8 to 1/2 " edge at the ceiling. So if it takes 3/8 of an inch to cover the ceiling your ok, but if you need half inch of bonding to flatten it then another few MM of skim then you will be below. Coving isnt that expensive, so if your having the ceilings skimmed, it would only be really the cost of the coving added on ( thats the way i do it anyway )

If the plasterer says he can keep it below the line then you'll be ok

Check the artex for asbestos first then if ok, you can get yourself a big scraper and scrape back flush, then your plasterer can give it a 2/3mm coat of finish.

I do this on pretty much all artex reskims

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back