Wooden or metal hawk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a newly trained plasterer, and I do have all new tools, but also some much older tools (my grandad used to be a handyman, and looked after all his tools, most of which we still use, even though they are about 50 years old) that are in stellar condition, I was wondering what are the arguments for and against the wooden hawk (it has been kept with a coat of linseed oil and wrapped in grease proof paper and is still very good condition).

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with a wooden hawk. Years ago, that's all that was used, you made your own, same as the wooden floats, darbies straight edges etc. I still use a yellow pine float and a yellow pine darby to this day, but i confess to using an aluminium hawk, and have used one for years. I've tried the plastic hawks and found them to be crap. Each to their own.

I've tried the plastic hawks and found them to be crap. Each to their own.
rc next time your in b&q take a look at their plastic lightweight hawk its the lightest hawk ive used its also easy to keep clean any dried film of plaster that resides on it falls off when you bend the hawk its proving quite popular its also about half the weight as some of the other hawks ive used
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtool...ks/Ragni-Plasterers-Lightweight-Hawk-11248067

Cheers for that Steve. I still have a B&Q Father's Day gift card with some money still left on it,, i'll check it out.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that Steve. I still have a B&Q Father's Day gift card with some money still left on it,, i'll check it out.
yes you will be surprised with it I dident use to like plastic as they were mostly cumbersome I first used it when I borrowed it off the distinguishedplasterer and couldent believe how comfortable it is, where im at at the moment there was 3 plasterers using it, to clean it all you have to do is bend it and the plaster cracks and falls off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back