15mm TRV on 8mm Microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to fit new radiators throughout the house which currently has 8mm microbore to the radiator valves. Currently has really old rusty radiators with manual valves etc.

I've decided 15mm TRVs will be best to allow future changing of pipework when a new boiler is installed (hopefully later rather than sooner)

I am planning to use 15 to 8mm reducers for this but should I also be adding a couple of inches of 15mm pipe to the top of the reducer to allow for the fittings of the TRV? I've not yet ordered the radiators and TRVs to tell if this will be necessary but thought I'd check here for the general norm.

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
Just use the 15mm to 8mm reducing sets that should be supplied with the TRVs if you've bought ones that will fit 8mm

The raditaor I am after come with valves but they are 15mm. I can always order 8mm ones but will save a fair amount given I have 8 radiators to replace

A word of warning Dave, when it comes to 'thrown in' TRVs, they may not be the best quality in the world!! Unless they're Danfoss, Drayton, Westherm or Myson, you're not getting a bargain but a leaker. So I'd check with the supplier on that one..... ;)

Sometimes there's a lot of unseen damage to the 8mm pipes if they rise through the floor to connect to your existing radiators, bumped with hoovers etc. So it's worth checking for that also. Also, check you don't have Maxitwin double entry type radiator valves.
HTH

Sponsored Links
Richard

I don't have the maxi-twin type valves, just standard manual valves and lockshields. The units dont seem to be branded but they have half decent reviews (screwfix)

Ah I like the look of those reducers, will defintily go with them - Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back