3 port valve reversed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I shut down the central heating (HW still on) using the room thermostat, the 3 port v/v lever moves to the mid position.

I have read that the HW only position should be right over (lever floppy)

Does this indicate my wiring is reversed? If so does it matter?

Thanks for any wise words.

Sponsored Links
At the hot water only position the valve is at rest and there should be resistance on the lever.

At central heating only the valve is fully wound across and the lever is floppy

The valve will stay in its last used position when the system goes 'off' (and 'off' can also mean 'on' at the programmer but 'off' at a thermostat)

To check it is wired correctly, if you have a multimeter you should test for a live on the motorised valve's white wire when only the central heating is 'on' ('on' at the programmer and the room thermostat) then turn the room thermostat down until it clicks 'off' and check the white wire is no longer live.

Otherwise, starting with the system completely cold, turn 'on' only the hot water (making sure that the cylinder thermostat is also 'on' / calling for heat) and check that only the inlet port and the port from the motorised valve to the hot water cylinder get hot.

Then, again starting from cold, turn 'on' only the central heating (making sure that the room thermostat is also 'on' / calling for heat) and check that just the inlet port and the port from the valve to the radiators get hot.

Then please go to the post / thread you wish to delete, click on "Alert Moderators" in the bottom right hand corner and ask them to delete it for you.

If two threads are running on the same topic it is mighty confusing and counter-productive for you.

Sponsored Links
Checked with M/meter. 230v was on the white when stat was off but not when stat was on.

But just checked lever positions and they agree with your post.

Not sure how to go now.

Duplicate post deleted (I hope)

Edit. Please ignore all above, I mistook the grey for neutral, very dark airing cupboard. Sorry wiring is OK BB

I don't know what happened initially to make you start your investigations, but if the heating and hot water operation are transposed, it may be possible that the wiring is OK, but the valve has been physically installed the wrong way around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back