35mm flush pipe into 40mm cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'd be very grateful for advice on the following problem, which I have to fix before the girlfriend's mother comes to stay on Friday...

I'm finishing off the downstairs bathroom, and have a 35mm chrome flush pipe going into a Dudley Phantom cistern designed for a 40mm flush pipe (the cistern will be concealed but the pipe will not). Don't ask why ;)

I replaced the white plastic union nut with an identical one with a bigger shoulder, tighter on the pipe. Hard washer inside that, conical rubber washer at the top. The rubber washer isn't a very tight fit so I put silicone in there as well. Left it a day before turning the water on. It leaked.

So I took it apart and dried it out, filled the union nut with silicone, reassembled and left for a day. Last night it seemed fine; this morning just a smear of water, so still leaking. Took it apart again. had to go to work but will have another go tonight.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion to filling the union nut with silicone and hoping it works this time?

Many thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thing is though, is the Masefield Beta L02006S washer different from the washer I have at the moment, that came with the syphon?

Could anyone tell me, please, if they think wrapping the whole thing in self-amalgamating tape would work - and work for any length of time? Instead of the union nut. I realise it wouldn't be demountable ...

Cheers
Richard

Thing is though, is the Masefield Beta L02006S washer different from the washer I have at the moment, that came with the syphon?
And? It should be, it's an 11/2" washer for an 11/2" pipe going into an 11/2" nut and syphon.

The L02006S allows an 11/4" pipe to be fitted into an 11/2" nut and syphon.

OK, thanks Charnwood.

Given that I have to have this working by Friday, I have a 3 stage plan.

1. Last night I fixed it up with silicone again. I also discovered that I had a half turn to take up on the bottom nut securing the syphon to the cistern, and I haven't ruled that out as the source of the leak.

2. If it leaks tonight, I'll do an emergency repair with self-amalgamating tape.

3. If 2., I'll get a L02006S ordered in and do the job again with that.

Cheers
Richard

As of this morning, it's still not leaking. Thanks for the advice on the Masefield Beta L02006S - I'll get one ordered in, then it's there if I need it.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back