9 Litre cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain why houses are being built with ever decreasing cistern capacities.
Our concealed cisterns are supposed to hold 6 litres(the water gets to the line I've checked), yet I can't have a dump without needing to flush it twice. The water has gone by the time the majority of the contents have gone and there's no water or time left to brush off any skid marks!!! So I have to wait and flush it again.
At my mums she has an old 9 litre cistern. All gone and brushed clean in one go, every time. So is this progress using 12 litres(on a bad day it's been 18L :oops: :oops: :oops: !)?

I'd like to get a concealed 9litre cistern for the upstairs toilet, preferably dual flush too with internal overflow. That way the upper toilet can be the "dumping ground" and the velux left open if it's bad. The downstairs can then be just a peeing toilet(it's too close to the living room and being open plan the smell always wafts through), and I could put a brick or two in that/adjust it to cut the flow down to 3-4L

Any ideas as to a reputable supplier and cost?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone explain why houses are being built with ever decreasing cistern capacities.

It's the regs now wc's can't flush 9 litres unless they are old installs being repairable all new installs can only use 6 litres.
As of 2001.

Pans are being designed to clear with less volume of water.
It is feasible that you have a 6 litre cistern and a 9 litre pan.

What method is used to flush? Valve, syphon, flapper?

Re skidmarks, if above the waterline, try improving your aim. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Maybe just squat over an old newspaper and burn it in the woods at the back of the house!

Yet more stoopid regs to blight our lives. I know the environmental reasons they put forward and areas under water stress it's understandable. But where I live water availability (in relation to population density) is never going to be an issue!

So would I be refused a 9L cistern then?

It's a "roca" toilet, no name/range....bog standard(groan....) looking toilet?

Just found this on the LEED "Gold" standard....
WCs of average flush volume to be not more than 3.5 litres;

so that will be 3-4 flushes per dump.

I wonder how they test this against an "average" dump. Do they take 100 people, monitor it over a few weeks and make some median average for weight/size/solidity?

The Platinum standard will be fun(fill a cup of water from the sink and chuck it at the turd....)

The worst aspect of all of this is that most of it is driven by the fake science of anthropogenically enhanced climate change/global warming by CO2 emissions. This is a scientific dictatorship emerging....To keep the poor third world exactly as it is, and to create means of taxation for us lot, whilst creating the necessary job related infrastructure around "climate change". We're being fooled.
I did a comprehensive paper on water usage back in 1998 when I was doing environmental science at Dundee Uni and within that I put a heavy emphasis on the use of "grey" water. 15 years on and how many buildings do? Very few. We're still chucking good potable water down the toilet when grey water would do....

nooooooooo XR4x4......

I'd like to get a concealed 9litre cistern for the upstairs toilet, preferably dual flush too with internal overflow. That way the upper toilet can be the "dumping ground" and the velux left open if it's bad. The downstairs can then be just a peeing toilet(it's too close to the living room and being open plan the smell always wafts through), and I could put a brick or two in that/adjust it to cut the flow down to 3-4L

Helps to read the posts. This is the situation as it is anyway- if I use 9L once upstairs to remove a dump and 3-4 L for a pee(and I do let it mellow so even less in real terms per pee) I'm surely saving water compared to 12-18 L for a dump and 6L for a pee as it currently is?

Maybe the designers sh*t is like short bits of spaghetti? :confused: :eek:

A battle of wits with the unarmed is no fun

I'd heard a similar one but it goes like this:

"I refuse to do intellectual combat with someone who is clearly unarmed"!!!

Both good quotes though! :)

So, with regard to the regs, I guess I will may have to take my old 9L cistern to the shop with me when buying a replacement. Is this another piece of EU nonsense? Can't even take a d**p with the EU involved, now, if so.

I still have load of 9 litres syphon left. I'm keeping it for someones who does not want small flush :)

Why don't you do the extreme flush, with a 12 litres water tank in loft and run waste pipe to flush pipe connector with electric flush valve and push button? You don't even need toilet tissue to wipe bottom, the flush will wash it for you.... ;)

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back