A way to stop hot water cylinder leaking temporarily?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a small leak in my hot water cylinder. It is the kind with two immersion heaters (there is not gas boiler). It has been dripping a tiny bit into a tray and needs to be replaced. I haven't got it repaired it because I have been ill.

Now I have been asked to go away at very short notice and obviously cannot leave it as it is. The plumber I spoke to said that switching the water off at the mains would stop the dripping so I tried it but there was still a drip from the hot water cylinder. I don't understand why as the taps were cut off and I thought that would shut off all water to the house.

Also, last time the plumber was here the ball cock broke by coincidence and he tied it up. I don't know if this is a factor.

With the mains water on the hot taps don't have any water in them, obviously the hot water is not being used.

I can delay my trip but if anyone has an answer that would be helpful as I can't get a plumber at such short notice.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Is the hot water tank fed from a storage tank?
Is the ball cock supply to main cold storage tank still tied up?

You need to prevent water getting into the hot water tank---turn off mains supply to the store tank, or tie up its ball cock AND run taps to empty the cold store ( OR turn off any tap that controls the flow from the store tank to the hot tank) AND then drain the hot tank to below the leak level, using its drain cock. Running the hot taps will not empty the hot cylinder as it will still contain water up to the top exit pipe point,

Thanks. The ball cock is still tied up, I don't know in which tank, all I know is that it is in the attic. I don't know if the hot water tank is fed from a storage tank either. But anyway your explanation makes sense.

I think I will try and find an emergency plumber as I don't think I can drain a tank myself with zero understanding. I must have explained it in the wrong way to the plumber who said to turn off the water at the mains.

Unless you are excessively rich, I would try to find a helpful neighbour rather than an emergency plumber---especially from yellow pages!.
Or learn quickly---its pretty simple.

Turn off main supply. Run hot taps until flow stops. Find drain cock on bottom of hot tank. Attach hosepipe. Open drain cock, until drips from the leak stops.

Sponsored Links
I dont see why you think you cannot get a plumber!

Most can come within the hour at this time of year.

If the cylinder is copper it might be possible to make a medium term repair with solder like a wiped joint.

Tony

I phoned a couple and no-one was free until tomorrow, I needed to leave this afternoon really. But I will try again. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back