Advice needed please - water regs updating old taps/mixers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We needed to replace our bathroom basin mixer and two bath mixers with hand shower attachments. All 15 years old so past sell by date to say the least. The basin and one of the bath mixers were dual flow hot and cold and the other bath mixer mixed the water in the spout. I got some new ones suitable for low pressure water and realised afterwards that they all mixed the water in the body of the tap. Reading the instructions got me worried about what sort of supply I had and the possible need for check valves (none on the current pipework). Like an idiot I'd never considered backflow!

I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate some guidance (the instruction leaflet said to contact the Water Company who were useless!):

1. Looking at the system pipework the bath hot and cold supplies are obviously both fed from a cistern in the loft (3 tanks up there one of which is the CH header).

My understanding of this is that this is a balanced system - at least on the baths - and that there is no need for check valves as the water gap in the cistern protects the cold supply. Is this correct?

2. I'm not sure about the basin cold supply. It is stronger than the hot (I'm going to change the isolation valve on the hot feed for a full bore one to see if that makes a difference to the flow) - could the cold be fed direct from the mains? The basin mixer I put on is better in the 2 fully open hot or cold positions than in the mixed position. As a precaution and because I couldn't work out what exactly was going on I put a check valve on the cold feed. Can anyone advise me whether I need to put one on the hot as well or if it's safe to do without them at all?

Income prevents me from just getting a plumber in so I'd really appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
To check if the basin is mains. Turn off your internal mains stopcock, open kitchen tap, the water should stop running within 10 seconds. Go upstairs and open the cold tap on the basin. If there is no water then it is mains, if water is coming out then it is tank feed.

Andy

To check if the basin is mains. Turn off your internal mains stopcock, open kitchen tap, the water should stop running within 10 seconds. Go upstairs and open the cold tap on the basin. If there is no water then it is mains, if water is coming out then it is tank feed.

Andy

Thanks Andy

If tank feed I think I am correct that no check valve needed? Also presumably I am correct re the baths i.e. no valves needed here either? If so that will save me mucking about in a tight space for ages cutting the feeds and doing up compression fittings!!

Sponsored Links
What I do for customers is as follows:

1. Turn off mains supply to house/flat.
2. Drain down all water by opening all taps.

I never turn off gate valves as they are usually faulty and turn off but won't open up again.

3. Once drained down I fit the new taps.
4. Turn on mains and fill the cold water tank. Check for leaks
5. Open taps and remove air locks. Check for leaks again.

Job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back