Advice on how to replace washer on mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathroom pedestal mixer tap is dripping water and it appears that the cold washer needs replacing. How do I do this on this type of mixer tap?

IMG_0692.JPG

What tools do I need?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Well best bet is search U tube a picture is worth a thousand words, but here are my words for what it’s worth.

Turn the water off, better say that just in case!

Unscrew the top knurled (the textured grip above the head, part you turn) rings that are marked hot or cold. There will be a screw inside holding the head on. Pull the head off the shaft, (you may need to lever it off) unscrew the shroud (the chrome bell shaped piece around the shaft) that will expose a large nut, unscrewing that with a spanner while bracing the tap by hand (a glove ain’t a bad idea in case something goes!) to reduce strain on the basin will remove the working part of the tap.
Replace the washer, either pushed on a pin or held with a nut or screw through the centre. Reassemble in reverse.

Now the bad news, the whole thing will almost certainly be stuck solid with scale.
Try soaking each bit in vinegar or descaler for a while if it will not move.

In theory the knurled nut and shroud should only be hand tight, but you may need pipe grips or gland nut pliers to remove them, wrap rag or better still something like a piece of rubber around to protect the chrome.

You may find one of those rubber kitchen discs that are for gripping tight lids will enable you to remove them without using tools.

Required,
Screwdriver, no idea what type till you see the screws they used.

Adjustable spanner, an 8” may do it but a 10” (that’s the overall length of the spanner) will be a safer bet.

Gland nut / Water pump pliers/ pipe grips, 9” or 10”. You can use these instead of the spanner on the inner nut, it’s just bad practice to use tools with teeth on nuts as it rounds them off after a few times.

Turn on water, run for a few mins to flush out any debris, fill kettle make tea and sit back to admire your work! :D

Good luck,
Regards,
footprints

Pliers or grips to carefully unscrew the 'COLD' cap without damaging or chewing up the finish. Grip the ridges on the edge of the cap.

Next, a screwdriver to remove the screw under the cap, then pull of the tap's handle from shaft. Next the cover/shroud at the bottom of the shaft needs removing with a spanner with cloth between spanner and cover to protect plating. If there aren't flats on the cover for a spanner, you may need a boa strap wrench -

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/bo...oductlisting&gclid=CJaY3-SG7rcCFSXHtAodklkAoA

Finally, undo the large nut under the cover to remove the head complete with washer.

Sponsored Links
The washer abuts a seat so make sure the seat is not pitted.

Thanks for the instructions guys. It's the shroud I think that I'll have problems with as there aren't any flats and I don't want to mark it. I'll look into the boa strap wrench.

Cheers.

Thanks for the instructions guys. It's the shroud I think that I'll have problems with as there aren't any flats and I don't want to mark it. I'll look into the boa strap wrench.

Cheers.

Wrap a piece of cardboard around the shroud, then grip with mole grips, tight enough not to slip but not so tight that it dents the metal.

Cheers.

Wrap a piece of cardboard around the shroud, then grip with mole grips, tight enough not to slip but not so tight that it dents the metal.

Thanks for the tip.

I got the strap wrench and got the shroud off, but I was unable to undo the nut. It's completely fused. I whacked it etc. didn't budge. Bugger.

You can try dribbling a kettle of hot water over the outer part of the tap body while you have a cold wet cloth around the shaft it might expand the thread a little. Whatever you do don't go near it with a blowlamp! You will knacker the tap and melt the O rings which can be toxic if burnt.

Wrapping the joint in kitchen towel soaked in descaleing solution may well work if it's looking a bit crusty.

You say you wacked it, how? The only thing I would do is fit the spanner on the nut firmly and then gently tap the far end of the spanner but I'm afraid there may be a new basin involved if it goes badly :cry: Wear gloves broken ceramic is sharper than glass! I managed to slice my hand open recently whilst breaking up a WC pan :confused:

Do you feel lucky?

Best wishes,
footprints

Not today. My broadband's gone belly up due to a faulty filter so I think I'll be pushing my luck if I try any further. I gave the spanner a gentle whack as I didn't want to damage the sink. I was thinking about having a new bathroom suite, so I may now bring the replacement forward.

Thanks for your assistance. Cheers.

Join the club, my old garage door came off the runners this morning with me underneath, it came within a knats whisker of punching a hole in the asbestos ceiling.
Took the missis and me 20 mins just to get it closed up again, another £1000 or so to fork out for a new one!

Agggg Gremlins!!!

Regards,
footprints

Can you cut with an abrasive disk or split or grind the nut off?

Also try tightening just a bit, sometimes this works for reasons I don't understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back