Air brick for log burner in a new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5kw log burner in a new build - according to various articles I've read there's no need to fit an air brick for log burners 5kw or under, but as a new build is almost draught free, should I install an air brick anyway?

If yes, then how big should it be and does the position matter? I was thinking single brick size and diagonally across the room, but have no idea if what height it should be from the floor. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
surely your HETAS approved installer can tell you this :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS soild fuel kills a lot more people that gas bare that in mind ;)

surely your HETAS approved installer can tell you this

I'm converting a small barn, so it's as insulated and draught free as a new build. We're not planning on installing the stove (bought from our previous property) immediately - I just wanted to get the room ready for when we do and the type of insulation we're using would make it awkward to fit an air brick in the future.

I wouldn't fit a air brick I would see if your stove has a air supply kit that fits to the bottom of the stove and goes direct to outside. This way no cold air when woodburner is not being used

Sponsored Links
It depends how air tight the building is. If it has an air permeability of less than 5m³/h.m² then the requirement is 550mm² per kW, regardless of the total kW output of the stove.

It depends how air tight the building is. If it has an air permeability of less than 5m³/h.m² then the requirement is 550mm² per kW, regardless of the total kW output of the stove.

I think I'm going to leave it until we actually have the stove installed, as I'll probably only end up having to do the job again!

Just out of interest though - I've got a 9" x 3" cast iron air brick that I was hoping to use. It has an area of 4,719mm2 (39 x 11mmx11mm holes) and assuming that the internal grill has at least the same value, then this would provide sufficient air flow for an 8.5kw stove?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back