Alpha C27 Squealing When Hot Water is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Alpha C27 Combi Gas Boiler which has started making a squealing noise when the hot water is on, no noise with central heating. It still makes the noise when the boiler is switched off at mains and hot tap running
I have found that if I reduce the water flow at the mains stop cock the noise goes away, however I would prefer a higher flow rate.

So I would be pleased to receive your thoughts/comments to what this might be, i.e. heat exchanger/flow regulator.

Sponsored Links
The rubber control element in the flow regulator has stretched out of position.

For all practical purpose the rubber can just be removed.

Thanks for clearly explaining the symptoms so that I can just tell you whats wrong!

Tony

Thanks Tony is this rubber easy to remove ? And is there a reason why it would fail in first place.

Anything on a boiler seems easy to me.

Sometimes an over high mains supply pressure might be the cause.

But its irrelevant as once removed the problem has gone.

Bit like tonsils or wisdom teeth!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its been a while and have been living with the lower water pressure. But at weekend I removed the flow regulator all together (little plastic disc thing) and the squealing has stopped, which is good. However re-read your advise above and you advise to remove only the rubber.

Can you see any problems not having the plastic flow regulator installed or should I order a replacement or fit the old plastic back in.

Appreciate your comments

forget it, it will make no difference now.

Unless the pressure is excessive you can leave it out.

I do wonder why you removed all of it though when I only said the rubber inside.

Tony

Yeah the pressure is the same as it was before the squealing started, so reckon it will be fine.

Yes Tony, I should have re-read your advice from November before I started, nevermind eh.

Thanks for your correct diagnosis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back