any easy/cheap method of finding plastic water pipe runs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good AFternoon,

My parents recently had a small house built in India, and the plumbers seem to have run water pipes as and where suited them, IE not in any logical way...

So to stop my parents drilling though pipes to hang up shelves, pictures etc, is there any way to identify where these pipes are running without digging them out of the wall?

The water pipes are plastic, and buried in sand/cement render.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could pump them full of some kind of Nuclear isotope and use a Geiger counter to trace through the wall, or maybe even just hot water and a thermal imaging camera.

Other than that, can you find the ends and work out the direction and therefore location they must run in between by lifting floorboards?

A stethoscope again the wall with the water running.

A thermal imaging camera when the hot water is running should show the pipes in the walls.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - Guess I'll be trying stethoscope against the wall next time they want to do anything there!

rjm2k - unfortunately not that easy to find ends and work out whats in between, as they found out over xmas... plumbers more or less run the pipe work where they want, bend where ever suites them (inc half way down a wall with no water utilities on it) and through any hole they happen to require!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back