Bath Shower mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm wondering if someone can help.

I have fitted a mixer tap with shower attachment on my bath. When I use the tap the water mixes fine whilst coming out of the spout. However when I use the shower attachment I either get scalding hot water or stone cold water. The tap doesn't seem to mixing using the shower attachment but is fine when coming out of the spout.

I get decent flow out of the shower head for hot and cold but as I say it just wont mix. My hot water is fed from a gas combi boiler and the cold is mains fed.

Can anyone shed any light on what the issue may be? If the taps are at fault i'll remove them and get them replaced but don't want to do it if its not the taps at fault.

It is driving me mad!!!

Sponsored Links
Is the mixer thermostatic? It should be. Check you've fed hot and cold correct way round and check holes in the shower head aren't too tiny.

Its just a standard mixer tap with a shower attachment. You pull the knob up in the middle of the tap and water diverts out through the shower head. As I said Hot water comes out fine and cold water comes out fine, however they just wont mix.

You'll struggle to get a satisfactory shower from a combi with a non-thermostatically controlled mixer.

Sponsored Links
taps are not faulty, they should be thermostatic, you could fit a TMV under the bath to feed the bath taps instead of replacing them.

Well I should at least be able to fiddle with the hot and cold to get a mix. What I'm asking is do you think there is a problem with the taps or is it an issue with the way my water system is?

Such as part no. 17853 at BES.

http://www.bes.co.uk/

This one's wall mounted but you could probably connect it to 'stubs' of the mixer tap you've already fitted.

Or part no. 16933, but that's rather more expensive...

Thanks to all who replied. I've now managed to get the Hot and Cold to mix by fitting a wider bore shower hose. The one that came with it was 8mm so I purchased a 11mm hose and I can now get a decent temperature for a shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back