Baxi combi 105e whines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler which is located in the back porch has suddenly developed a high pitched whine. I tried turning off the electrics at the mains and also the gas at the meter but the whine continues. At a loss to know what can possibly be making this ear ringing permanent noise. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mc just tried that but no effect, sound seems to come from the back near the expansion vessel or heat exchanger, but with no water no electric and no gas going in ??? :(

Sponsored Links
Was the boiler stolen?

Maybe there is a security device at the back of the boiler which is activating?

Wouldn't think it was stolen as it was fitted by reputable dealer some seven or eight years ago, and all the certificates and warranties were provided, and how is the 'whine' produced? no sign of a battery.
Today turned off all services for one hour, ie water gas and electric, all at the mains but the ear splitting whine continues :mad:

Well something is making the noise based on your evidence.

Do you have a sound level meter?

That would surely locate the source of the problem?

I have two for dealing with these problems, one an audio range meter and the other an ultrasonic meter. ( useful for detecting gas/water leaks ).

Tony

PS Do you suffer from tinnitus?

Thanks Agile, but no I do not possess a sound meter, totally baffled about the sound generation (no pun intended).
Yep I've tinnitus but rest of family don't!
Placing the ear at the bottom right of the casing seems to identify its whereabouts, the inflow valve is nearest but with the supply turned off surely it can't make this blasted whine!
Thanks again, it looks like I need a professional armed with one of your sound detectors. :(

have you turned the stopcock off to the whole house?. it could be a non return valve on the pipe work somewhere else in the house, and the noise is travelling down it. does the noise stop if the boiler runs? is it worse? does it stop if taps are turned on ? you have to try everything...

have you checked the blow off pipe to see if its dripping? the prv is sprung loaded and might be vibrating? what does the pressure gauge show?

questions questions questions...... :LOL:

Many thanks mcmoby and Agile just identified problem. :oops:
Now don't laugh!! :oops:
Next to the boiler... on the window ledge...... inside an empty flower pot................ I've just found an old smoke alarm...!!!! :oops: :oops: :cry: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks again chaps off to play a round of golf now.....now where did I put my clubs??
Regards Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back