Baxi Luna 24Fi / Alpha 240 - Orange light problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Baxi Luna 24 Fi 1.20 boiler, it's known in the UK as a Alpha 240 I'm told.

It probably needs replacing but don't exactly have the funds to replace and hoping to repair.

The problem.
If it's been shut off for a few hours and I turn it on, it will fires up for few minutes, the burners go out and water continues to be circulate around a few minutes later it will fire up again for maybe a minute max then shut off, at this point the orange neon light comes on.

It must then be powered off for 15 minutes before it will power on again.

If it's been powered off for half hour and I turn it onto hot water only, it will fire up and fill about 1/5 of the bath before shutting down and the orange neon light comes on.

I've had a few different service people come out and try find a problem but had no luck.

Most people in the area have these boilers if they haven't been replaced already, I happen to get one that was being replaced to use for parts.

My boiler has had many parts replaced that didn't look to good but we can't find the problem.

The expansion tank on the back of the boiler is no good, but we added an external expansion tank to the return CH pipe, I think we read up on that in here or another forum. This stopped the pressure gauge from climbing so high, but I'm wondering if it should be hooked up to where the original expansion tank/vessel is.

The air pressure switch has been replaced and checked and doesn't appear to be problem. The fan looks ok but I'm wondering if I should have someone come in and replace with another one I have.
The circuit boards have been switched over with another old one, so not sure if that board had a problem too.

During the summer the CH is turned off or the thermostat is turned down low (i forget how we had it set) , but strangely we could fill bath etc just fine, the problems seems to go away, even in Oct when the CH started to come as it got colder it was working fine.

It's almost like once the temp out side get to a low point it starts acting up.

I should also add that whoever installed these units and pipe work for the baseboards didn't do a good job either. Pipes upstairs get hot water through them relatively fast, but our main floor has a hard time, the far room only gets faintly warm. Granted the boiler only runs for few minutes.

Any advice or ideas that you can offer on fixing or finding this problem is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
most of us know what the problem is but the site rules prohibit us from telling you on an open forum, this is not only for your own safety but to stop others from reading this post and trying to sort a similar problem on their own boiler, it is not difficult or expensive to remedy your fault get someone who knows your boiler and you will be fine

Sponsored Links
most of us know what the problem is but the site rules prohibit us from telling you on an open forum, this is not only for your own safety but to stop others from reading this post and trying to sort a similar problem on their own boiler, it is not difficult or expensive to remedy your fault get someone who knows your boiler and you will be fine

Hi Ian,
I understand, but my problem is I've had 4 different companies come out and look at the boiler, one guy was clueless and never seen a boiler like this, but the last guy was here for 2.5 hours testing and checking everything (I wasn't watching him so no idea what he did exactly).

He left saying he really doesn't know and his guess is the circuit board could be bad/broken.

Another problem is all these companies tell me each time is, oh you can't get parts for these boilers any more, but a quick search online and almost every part can be shipped from bostonheatingsupply.com

I have no problem calling someone out to look at it again, but it would be good to have just a little guidance on what area to focus there time on.

Can you answer this question without breaking any forum rules.
Do you think it's related to the circuit board?

Thanks

I have received your msg Craig and have replied to you, if you still havent received any messages from me send me another message and include your e-mail address

Hi Ian,
I'm going to have someone come out tomorrow or Monday and have a look, plus switch over the fan at the same time.

I'll respond with the outcome either way.
Thanks

Hi,
So I had another service person come out today and switch over the fan and and the venturi that we had spare, even with the chamber cover removed the orange light would still come on after several minutes.

The guy today seems to think that it's the main PCB or perhaps a problem with the wires or plug from the fan to the board.

Finding a replacement PCB isn't so easy for the baxi luna model, but I did come across a replacement board for a Alpha 240E.
But it's from a UK site http://boilerpcb.com/alpha-240e--280e-main-pcb-37-p.asp

Not exactly sure if this will work or not, but one question I do have is, will a PCB for the Alpha work ok over here as our voltage is different, does that even make a difference?

Thanks

Looks to me like your second two are both the ignition PCB.

Hi,
Yes you maybe right, as I just came across this product that's no longer available on the site. http://www.parts4heating.com/Baxi-Luna-24Fi-5650460-p/5650460.htm

I think I maybe out of luck here getting a no PCB, just spoke with another parts store and they said they haven't been able to get them for over 3 years now.

So does anyone know if a PCB built for a UK boiler would or wouldn't work over here due to the different voltage?

Thanks

Your voltage is different so UK PCBs will not work. Does the boiler actually fire up at any stage? Was the air pressure switch contacts resistance measured and confirmed as being OK?

Hi,
I've temporarily fixed it.
Before it would run for several minutes then the orange light would come on.

I figured out that a small amount of pressure on the relay if the orange light was on would fix the problem and the boiler fireups.

So for now I have the teflon tape plastic round package between the relay and the cover, this is keeping pressure and it's been running good for 2 hours.

I also have an old PCB off another boiler, I've de-soldered the relay, so I and may switch it over or just try find buy a new one, but for now I'm just going to let the house finally warm up. A few weeks with crappy electric fan heaters doesn't do much, the other night it went down to -27*C

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back