Best temp seal for leaking pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had a wet patch appear in kitchen ceiling and checked toilet above and it seems a leak is coming from the pipe coming from bottom of the cistern, it is a slow leak and took a while to discover. I have put a bit of bathroom sealant where the pipe enters the floor to stop it going anymore under the floor but it will still create a small puddle in bathroom floor. I am not sure a wrench would fix it as it does not appear loose anywhere.

As I dont know a plumber locally and will ask a few friends to reccommend one is there a good spray sealant I can get form a hardware store just to stop the leak as a temp fix, as I may not get a plumber out until next week.

It is just a drip, cant actually see it leaking or dripping but when I dry the area after a little while it has become wet.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This will be the non close coupled type then, with a separate cistern and pan?
If the leak is there all of the time, its the seal between the syphon and the ceramic at fault (hexagon nut, usually).
If the leak only occurs after a flush, its the joint between the flush pipe and the syphon. Round knurled nut, often).
Both easily cured, but only by the proper dismantling way, I'm afraid.
Try wrapping a flannel or similar around the pipe, and using this to wick the water away into a bucket or something.
John :)

Plumber came around and took off the shut off valve, not sure thats the correct name, but he put back together maybe replaced a seal and seems ok now - no more dripping! He said it may not work and he would replace valve but its been 3 or 4 days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back