Bleeding radiator every other day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little puzzle I'm hoping you guys can help with - I'm a complete novice on heating systems.

We had a new boiler installed in November, converting to an unvented system - a Potterton Performa System HE Conventional 28kw. Its a big house over four floors.

I have been bleeding the two radiators on the top floor every other day since the install - with one of those radiators letting out about 10 seconds of air each time. The pipes are also very noisy with gushing/bubbling water. I've topped the system up to 1.5 bar twice in 2.5 months.

Installer says must be a leak in our system somewhere? Can this be right given the amount of air that I have been letting out, but only topped up twice?

The first time I topped up was shortly after the install as wasn't sure what it had been starter on and a lot of the radiators needed bleeding at that point. The second time was mid-January the gauge hadn't dropped below 1. It is currently sitting at about 1.2.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Got any inhibitor in the system?

And if the installer says there is a leak why doesn't he find it and sort it out? I suspect he won't find one.

Thanks for responding.

Pretty sure inhibitor was put in - I saw empty cartons. Is there a safe way (a match?!) to check whether the gas coming out is air or hydrogen?

The install was only the boiler not the pipework, and done under the warmfront scheme, so the installer will not check the existing pipework (not for free anyway!)

Sponsored Links
the performa 28he system boiler is a band B boiler as have fitted them in the past and this should not have been fitted in november as been illegal since April.
Doesnt fix your fault but gives you a bargaining chip

My mistake - wrong boiler. I looked on the internet rather than digging my papers out.

It is actually a Promax System HE Plus 32.

I presume Maxsys earlier comment is because of the cowboy reputation of some warm front installers? FWIW the guys that did ours seemed to do a really conscientious job as it was a non-standard install with a few existing idiosyncrasies to work round.

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

I'm going to call them back out, but would be good if I could speak from a more informed viewpoint on possible leaks etc.

It just seems to me that with the amount of air coming out (if it is just air?) I should have had to re pressurise a lot more if it was leaking?

Has the mention of Wamfront scared everyone off :(

I've tried lighting the gas and nothing happened, so looks to be just air.

Any ideas as to how it is getting in there?

Thanks in anticipation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back