Blocked Toilet and mystery soil pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have an issue with the upstairs bathroom toilet. When flushing, bowl fills up and takes an age to drain. It does eventually drop to normal level.

Now, the other thing which could be a complete red-herring is that I've recently noticed a drip coming from the outside guttering where the outside soil pipe connects with the down pipe approx 6ft from ground. It seems to be a normal water leak, but then I remembered that it hasn't rained for a couple of weeks. Is this leak related? Also noticed some discoloration of the bottom of the downpipe.

Outside kitchen gully drain is also filling up. Level dropped after using soda crystals but does rise again.

I'm reluctant to plunge the toiler bowl in case this makes matters worse.

I also have no access to man-hole cover.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, have an issue with the upstairs bathroom toilet. When flushing, bowl fills up and takes an age to drain. It does eventually drop to normal level.

Now, the other thing which could be a complete red-herring is that I've recently noticed a drip coming from the outside guttering where the outside soil pipe connects with the down pipe approx 6ft from ground. It seems to be a normal water leak, but then I remembered that it hasn't rained for a couple of weeks. Is this leak related? Also noticed some discoloration of the bottom of the downpipe.

Outside kitchen gully drain is also filling up. Level dropped after using soda crystals but does rise again.

I'm reluctant to plunge the toiler bowl in case this makes matters worse.

I also have no access to man-hole cover.

Thanks in advance.

I forgot to add - the downstairs toilet flush is fine. No problems

Is the outside gutter connected to soil pipe? Can you see above the gutter?

Ask your next door to see if they have manhole cover.

How about bath and basin ? Where does it connect to?
Daniel.

Hi - bath and basin look like they flow into the gully along with washing machine and kitchen sink.

Haven't had a chance to check next door yet though. If they do have one - will my soil pipe be flowing in there? And wouldn't they be having an issue as well?

The soil pipe slopes down along the side of the house (from bathroom) and has a junction into the down pipe. The gutter also has a pipe down into thw main downpipe. I'll try and send through a pic.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts what I can do now? Is it worth trying to plunge loo?

But if I don't have one will my neighbour also be having issues?

Any thoughts what I can do now? Is it worth trying to plunge loo?

A double Worm Screw up from the manhole will sort it out !

41xTx9pLUSL._SY450_.jpg

Ok thanks. Irony is I have one of these but can't use it.... I might give it a shot from the toilet end

Anything I can do from the gully perhaps?

Cheers for the response... Especially given its a Bank holiday weekend.

[/list]

get onto your sewerage company :idea: chances are they now own the blocked pipe and will have to clear it £free :D . the ownership changed about 3-4 years ago :idea:

I had to rod up from a manhole once. I also had to get out of the way very quickly! Wasn't with a worm screw though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back