Boiler circuit board problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Hoping someone with some boiler/electrical experience can help me.

I moved into an old flat with an old boiler (Vokera mynute 12-48 ) which wasn't working when I first moved in. had a plumber/heating engineer come out to look at it and he charged me about £300 to replace the gas valve (expensive part) and service it.

Since then it stopped working again. I could hear a sort of electrical fizzing in the plastic case holding the circuit board so I opened it up to have a look, tightened various screws and dusted it a bit. Tried switching the boiler on with it open and miracle! Boiler fired up. Been working fine since until tonight when I noticed the heating didn't come on. Went through to have a look and one of the connections on one of the components on the board seems to have burnt out (the solder on the back is gone and the board is black where its gone - also burning smell). Which brings me to my question..... can I replace individual components on a boiler circuit board or do I have to replace the whole thing. I'm getting a new boiler in a few months and after spending £300 on this one already I'm trying to avoid any further expense and board would probs be £50+fitting.

If I can do components individually how do I find out what the piece is to replace it? the installation/service manual have doesn't list circuit board components and I can't take the board out to take to an electrical shop without cutting a cable... Not sure what to do.

Any help hugely appreciated.

Many thanks
Ray

ps have got a picture - component in question is R10

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Your PCB has obviously failed, you can't re-solder individual relays on these as you won't have the correct equipment. A new PCB will be pricey I'm afraid plus fitting and testing. Also, another part could of failed, which could of caused the PCB to fail. So, a suitably qualified is required.

A tough decision, as you are getting another boiler installed in a short period of time, under a free scheme by any chance?

Thanks for the quick reply godknows.

I was hoping to try replacing that one component and then if that didn't work then I would see about replacing the whole board. Does one part burning out mean the whole PCB is beyond repair? Not looking for a solution that will last forever.

What equipment would I need to resolder that one component?

Yes it is a tough one, as hoping to get the new boiler put in before march and already spent more than I was hoping on this one. Getting £400 quid off new one but far from free.

Thanks again
Ray

Hi all,

If you conact a local GSR engineer and explain your position, there is a company that sell reconditioned PCB's for a much cheaper route. They don't have a year's warranty, only 3 months, and they require your old one as an exchange.

Your engineer will also check the other boiler components incase of damage. You don't want a new/recon PCB to blow as soon as you fit it :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply EFL. The resistor was blown but just about able to read the bands to get a replacement.

As an update: I replaced the resistor and boiler is sparking fine so far. Appreciate the tip about reconditioned boards , might have to go down that route if I get more problems, but hopefully I'll have my new combi in before then.

Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back