Boiler does not start - unless increase pump speed -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My CH boiler occasionally does not start. I've noticed that when I increase pump speed to 3 (normal setting 2) the boiler will immediately start and is OK for some time then. And I can reduce the speed to normal 2.

Seems like the pump gets the signal to start but not starting and then boiler does not start either.

That is for central heating.

Can the pump be faulty?

What else can be a problem?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You have a zone valve in the circuit and the increased pump speed is
making it work. The valve isn't operating enough to switch across and switch on the boiler.

Sorted.

You have a zone valve in the circuit and the increased pump speed is
making it work. The valve isn't operating enough to switch across and switch on the boiler.

Sorted.

Thanks for that

Is it the mid position valve? This was changed a year ago. Do I need to change it again?
Or is it something else?

As it seems to work OK on setting 3 I would isolate the pump and split it and have a look at the impellor it may be full of crap and a good clean might be all it needs, wont cost anything to try this and may save you buying a new pump, if not what have you lost ?

Thanks for the advice.

checked the boiler - Potterton profile 30

I have replaced the valve today. Had to increase the speed to 3 for the first couple of times to start the boiler (when the pump was cold)
Then as the pump got warmer it was OK. So not so sure yet whether this was the valve.
Will wait and see.

In case I have to replace the pump - I've got CP53 model.

I read somewhere that to replace the pump I would have to unscrew two fixing screws in front of the pump (diagonally opposite if you know what I mean) and it will make the whole job much easier. Do I have to order exactly the same size or any pump will fit to those 2 fixings. Trying to avoid removing the whole pump from the pipes
thanks

As it seems to work OK on setting 3 I would isolate the pump and split it and have a look at the impellor it may be full of crap and a good clean might be all it needs, wont cost anything to try this and may save you buying a new pump, if not what have you lost ?

Will check daytime tomorrow. Now it's a bit too cold to remove the pump... it's freezing outside!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back