Boiler flue siting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a condensing boiler [1] in my garage with the flue going out to the side of the house. There's my path beside the house, I think it's about 800mm wide, then there's the neighbours path, about another meter wide, windows opposite.

I figured I would take the flue out, then presumably I can extend it through a 90 degree angle so it vents towards the back or front of the house, so I avoid venting directly onto the neighbours property. I'm just wondering what, if anything those fumes are going to do to my brickwork if they're blasting out parallel to the wall, or should I not worry about this? I'm hoping I don't get some ugly discolouration appearing.

Also, is this arrangement likely to be legal?

thanks,
S.

[1] Actually I'd rather have a non-condensing, but I've no idea what I have to do to get an exemption, so it's probably not worth the bother.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You can now get a plume management kit for most boilers that will
allow you to divert the plume right at the end of the flue.
Say to 45 degrees and upwards that will probably be fine.

[1] Actually I'd rather have a non-condensing, but I've no idea what I have to do to get an exemption, so it's probably not worth the bother.

and where do you propose to get one? as they were pre 2004 i very much doubt anyone has 1. as for the exemption i have only every made enough points on 1 boiler to qualify, this was a BBU to heat only conversion back in 2004.

probably because he's going to fit it illegally!! :LOL:

No, it has to be legal. The BCO is in and out of my place all the time as it's part of a renovation. Fortunately he knows the law, even if you don't.

cheers,
S.

The OP Hasn't mentioned GAS - it could be Oil fired!
mind you still got to notified though - but any numpty can fit it as long as it complies and they pay the full LABC fee! :LOL:

No, it has to be legal. The BCO is in and out of my place all the time as it's part of a renovation. Fortunately he knows the law, even if you don't.

cheers,
S.
Not being funny, but if the BCO knows the law and will presumably be signing it off when you've completed the installation, would he not be the best person to ask? :confused:

cheers,
S.
Not being funny, but if the BCO knows the law and will presumably be signing it off when you've completed the installation, would he not be the best person to ask? :confused:

Actually the main thrust of my question was about the staining (arguably not a concern of BCO), I was only asking about legality as an aside (and now I wish I hadn't), because professional plumbers are always going to jump on something like that, whatever else you are asking in the same post!

BUT: I've just read the forum posting guidelines relating to DIY gas work and I have to apologise to all present. I hadn't realised that such questions are not allowed, so I'll shut up and **** off now.

have a good w/e!
S.

Your Gassafe registered installer will take care of all that for you. ;)

Somehow I doubt that :LOL:

seriously why do u doubt your installer will take care of it its his responsibility to install it correctly

In case it wasn't obvious, I will be the installer :rolleyes:

No it wasn't obvious, because if you were competent enough to do the job you wouldn't need to ask the question

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back