Boiler in Loft is a Risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new boiler installed about six years ago in what we call our "loft". We call it a loft because it's under the eaves, only has a chipboard floor and is where we put our Xmas decorations and whatnot. Unlike a normal loft, it's access through a door, from a bedroom, so there's no hatch or ladder.

Anyway, for two years in a row, British Gas have serviced the boiler, and both times have written on their reports that the boiler installation is a risk because it's installed in a loft.

I've searched around, on this forum and elsewhere, and the only regulations about boilers in lofts seem to be around ensuring the safety of access and installation. So we'd need lighting and flooring (which we have), and there to a rail around any access hatch (which there isn't).

So, are there any gas experts there who know what this risk is? I'm going to try to ask British Gas the same thing, but expect to be told some generic BS about "regulations".

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends what boiler make/model it is.

Is it frost protected.

If the boiler is adequately supported with flooring from the access & fixed lighting I cant see why it should be at risk.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that BG said it was "a risk" and not At Risk (AR) At risk is a technical classification of a gas appliance where "a risk" doesnt really mean anything if it was AR I would have expected the engineer to attach a warning label and issue you with a notice stating why it is AR

There's a risk the feller might bang his head on the ceiling.
But if the BG bod borrowed a Dyno rod hard hat :idea: and used a safety rope the BG sparks uses . I`ve been watching the adverts , you know :mrgreen:

Are you sure that BG said it was "a risk" and not At Risk (AR) At risk is a technical classification of a gas appliance where "a risk" doesnt really mean anything if it was AR I would have expected the engineer to attach a warning label and issue you with a notice stating why it is AR

ianmcd, yes, it's actually AR. With a sticker and everything.

doitall, it's a Worcester boiler (can't remember the model). But the loft is insulated between the rafters, rather than between the floor joists. So the loft space is as well insulated as any other room in the house. It doesn't get frosty in there.

If memory serves there should also be a means of isolation to the gas and electric serving the appliance at the loft entry point.

Not sure how I would classify it. Not to current standards [NCS] probably as you could turn the gas and electric off at their respective meters i guess.

I also believe that some manufacturers do not recommend the loft space as an acceptable location, so that may also be an additional factor to consider.

As you have converted the loft into a room and you dont have a ladder (staircase I am guessing) I cant really understand why it is AR it should tell you on the warning notice though, perhaps it has nothing to do with the boiler being in the eaves maybe the engineer has spotted something else, a grey area can sometimes be a concentric horizontal flue exiting through a pitched roof as opposed to a vertical flue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back