Boiler losing pressure, leaking liquid & tripping circui

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice regarding this issue.

Unfortunatley in my rush this morning I was not able to photograph the boiler nor get the make/model, but can update the post with these this evening if need be.

We have a combi boiler in our flat. For a few months we have had an issue whereby the boiler loses pressure more often than I think it should. Once or twice a week we have to 'top it up' using the tap connected to the pipe.

After this had been happening a while, I noitced a pool of green-ish liquid dripping from the underside of the unit onto the kitchen worktop. At this point we called British Gas (we have a Homeserve policy). Note that the boiler was serviced when we took the policy out and no issues were found at all.

The BG engineer took everything apart, and other than a load of dead flies inside which he hoovered up (is this normal?) he found nothing wrong. He said there might be air in the system and that in time it would sort itself out. I put a piece of kitchen towel under the boiler to minotor the leak and from time to time it does get wet, but doesn;t appear to be green anymore...

That last call out was just before Christmas. This morning, I turned the thermostat up (which is located in the living room, behind the boiler), heard it kick in, then everything went off. The circuit breaker had tripped. We switched the boiler off and reset the breaker and all the plugs, oven etc worked fine. As soon as we switch the boiler on it trips.

We have called BG Homeserve again who are coming out today (my other half is at home waiting now), but given that the last engineer that came out told us it was fine (albeit for some trapped air...) I wondered if anybody here had any ideas?

Many Thanks

Darren

Sponsored Links
Hello all

I am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice regarding this issue.

Unfortunatley in my rush this morning I was not able to photograph the boiler nor get the make/model, but can update the post with these this evening if need be.

We have a combi boiler in our flat. For a few months we have had an issue whereby the boiler loses pressure more often than I think it should. Once or twice a week we have to 'top it up' using the tap connected to the pipe.

After this had been happening a while, I noitced a pool of green-ish liquid dripping from the underside of the unit onto the kitchen worktop. At this point we called British Gas (we have a Homeserve policy). Note that the boiler was serviced when we took the policy out and no issues were found at all.

The BG engineer took everything apart, and other than a load of dead flies inside which he hoovered up (is this normal?) he found nothing wrong. He said there might be air in the system and that in time it would sort itself out. I put a piece of kitchen towel under the boiler to minotor the leak and from time to time it does get wet, but doesn;t appear to be green anymore...

That last call out was just before Christmas. This morning, I turned the thermostat up (which is located in the living room, behind the boiler), heard it kick in, then everything went off. The circuit breaker had tripped. We switched the boiler off and reset the breaker and all the plugs, oven etc worked fine. As soon as we switch the boiler on it trips.

We have called BG Homeserve again who are coming out today (my other half is at home waiting now), but given that the last engineer that came out told us it was fine (albeit for some trapped air...) I wondered if anybody here had any ideas?

Many Thanks

Darren

BG Homeserve? Have they merged? No idea what you're banging on about without evidence, plus why post if BG Homeserve are on the case today? :rolleyes:

Apologies, I meant British Gas HomeCare, not Homeserve...

My only reason for posting before the engineer comes out is in my experience sometimes it helps if you can say to them "...a friend mentioned it might be something to do with this...." in case that was something that they had missed or overlooked.

My only reason for posting before the engineer comes out is in my experience sometimes it helps if you can say to them "...a friend mentioned it might be something to do with this...." in case that was something that they had missed or overlooked.

Other half just called - the engineer has been and said that two washers were either loose or leaking which was dripping water onto the heat exchanger. He will come back tomorrow and dry it our and replace these parts. Hopefully that will sort it.

Sponsored Links

No. In my experience it will get my back up. But if you're unhappy with todays visit and feel it isn't solved ring again, ask for a support engineer visit.

No. In my experience it will get my back up. But if you're unhappy with todays visit and feel it isn't solved ring again, ask for a support engineer visit.

+1

If someone already knows, I always think (and sometimes say), why am I asked to do the job then?

James.

Apologies, I would never set out to offend anyone - it's just that I have experienced too many times (for various jobs) an engineer or equivalent tradesperson visits and spots nothing wrong or can't find any fault and then a follow up visit by someone else in the same trade spots something very quickly and gives a "well I don't know how they missed that" remark or similar.

Thanks for the responses in any case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back