boiler pilot light must relight daily or more..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We have an issue with the pilot light not staying lit. We have to relight it daily often 2-3 times per day. (we only used h/w only most of summer).

Prior to this, we had an issue with it leaking, 5-6 engineer visits to get it resolved - around 3-4 months ago.. Not sure if it's related.

I've included a photo, I had 2 short vids of the boiler in action (1 from ignition, the other once warm (15-20 minutes later) but it won't let me post them. Flames are blue but cant really see that from photo, not sure what the debris is that heats up / glows, looks like small rocks..

any ideas? don't plan to do anything myself, just hoped to get some insight into what an engineer is likely to tell me is wrong..

Boiler is a Potterton Promax HE.

//media.diynot.com/113000_112434_83443_60311190_thumb.jpg

thanks View media item 83443

Sponsored Links
What's the fault light that's flashing?
Your boiler doesn't have a pilot light.

I would hazard a guess it's going to be an overheat issue and the boiler will need new seals fitting.
The glowing bits are just small bits of debris on the burner.

Hiya. thanks for the reply. fault light? there are no obvious lights on our model.. (just a grey reset switch) they maybe under the cover, but I've not had this off. (corgi or gas safe approved engineer only nowadays I think?)

Didn't realise our's didn't have a pilot light, in that case, it means the boiler fails to ignite / or fails to remain ignited when called for, for h/w or heating.

Yours has an automatic ignition.

There could be a whole number of reasons for the problem, whether it's failing to ignite, going out during operation or sensing a fault at the end of operation.
Time to call an RGI in, preferably one that knows these boilers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back