Boiler running continuously, what can cause this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an alpha he sy25 boiler which yesterday started running continuously despite all program's manually switched to off.

I have changed the Drayton ZA5 zone control valve head and also the Honeywell two port valve head but it continues to run.

All program's are switched to off and the rads are all red hot. Currently the only way that I can get the boiler & pump to shut off is the isolate the boiler from the spur.

I have noticed though that I have been given a Honeywell valve head for a three port valve and not a two port valve. Would it be reasonable to suggest that this is currently the cause and that the old Honeywell valve head was faulty as I don't want to have to return this, pay a 25% restocking charge at plumb base and then purchase the correct one if it is unlikely to be the cause.

Help!!

Sponsored Links
yes you have the wrong head. also make sure the valve body is free(it should turn by hand) and doesnt pass when closed

Did you ask Dumbase for the wrong head or did they give you the wrong one?

I took a picture on my phone of what was already installed and showed it to them, paying particular attention to the part number. He asked if it was a two or three port valve and I said I had no ideas, it could be a three port. The thing is though I gave him the correct part no and he still gave me the wrong item.

I should obviously have checked but didn't, more fool me. That's what ou get or assuming they will give you what you ask for!!!

They are now saying that I will have to pay a restocking charge as the item was it fitted.

Sponsored Links
yes you have the wrong head. also make sure the valve body is free(it should turn by hand) and doesnt pass when closed

If after fitting the correct head the problem persists what would be my next actions?

well normal action would be a) check the body is moving freely, b) check the head is moving correctly c) get the multimeter out and check you have power where you should and not where you shouldn't. You've kinda gone straight for the kill in fault finding land.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back