Boiler went into fault code no heating or hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a vented system, ideal Logic Heat 15 (2 years 4 months old), grundfos Alpha 2L pump also 2 years old. All was well in the evening, morning came no heating or hot water, fault code on boiler f-d (indicates flow problem) I have also noticed the pump which is one of the new intelligent pumps appears not to function and sits in power on mode. I have checked the header tank, dirty but water is flowing through, (i have cleaned this out completely now) water definitely getting through as the filter unit releases flow quiet fast when opened, checked drain valve downstairs under bottom radiator and water pretty clean, checked the water on return at boiler and seems clean. Will the boiler not firing render the pump to idle or would a fault on the pump stop the flow to the boiler ?. I am unsure on a Sunday where else to check. I have not yet refilled the header tank in case i need to remove something else and check. When header empty the filter does not release any water so indicates not blocked to me ?. Awaiting a call from an engineer but unsure when this will happen.( I am thinking it could be either the pump which would surprise me) or a faulty thermistor in the boiler. Any suggestion very welcome

Sponsored Links
Hello I have a vented system, ideal Logic Heat 15 (2 years 4 months old), grundfos Alpha 2L pump also 2 years old. All was well in the evening, morning came no heating or hot water, fault code on boiler f-d (indicates flow problem) I have also noticed the pump which is one of the new intelligent pumps appears not to function and sits in power on mode. I have checked the header tank, dirty but water is flowing through, (i have cleaned this out completely now) water definitely getting through as the filter unit releases flow quiet fast when opened, checked drain valve downstairs under bottom radiator and water pretty clean, checked the water on return at boiler and seems clean. Will the boiler not firing render the pump to idle or would a fault on the pump stop the flow to the boiler ?. I am unsure on a Sunday where else to check. I have not yet refilled the header tank in case i need to remove something else and check. When header empty the filter does not release any water so indicates not blocked to me ?. Awaiting a call from an engineer but unsure when this will happen.( I am thinking it could be either the pump which would surprise me) or a faulty thermistor in the boiler. Any suggestion very welcome

No ideas from the people who have read this so far ?????

the external pump on your system takes its power from the boiler so check to see if you have 240v at the pump terminals when there is a demand for heat

Sponsored Links
the external pump on your system takes its power from the boiler so check to see if you have 240v at the pump terminals when there is a demand for heat

the pump does have power, it comes on goes through and all lights come up, then just goes into what i believe is fault because it sits with power light only on. What i am not sure is which one is the fault as both boiler and pump go into fault mode

the pump does have power, it comes on goes through and all lights come up, then just goes into what i believe is fault because it sits with power light only on. What i am not sure is which one is the fault as both boiler and pump go into fault mode

Just update and confirm problem, boiler not at fault, no blockage, failed pump which is a 2 year old Grundfos Alpha2L not sure you want these, crap failing after 2 years (electronics failure) guess what Grundfos give guarantee over 2 years but only from manufacture date not purchase or installation date, this means really if you have one that happens to be kept at back of shelf it could already be out of guarantee before its installed.

I would love to know what went wrong.

Would you let me have the old one to investigate?

Are you close enough for me to collect? Or can you remove the electronics part to make it light enough to post with me paying the postage?

I have also made a posting on the Grundfos Facebook site about another problem with these.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back