Branch pipe seal leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've noticed that the soil pipe for my toilet is leaking.

Upon inspection it looks like the seal/connection for the branch pipe is buggered.

What's the best course if action? Can I replace the connection or would it be a new branch pipe?

How hard a task is it to replace?

Ill get some photos up when home tonight.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Depends on materials used for the current pipework. Will be able to advise further when photo's are available. :)

Seems the plastic 'lips' on the sockets have become brittle and broken, allowing the seals to displace and thus the joint leak. I'd personally replace the junction and that section of branch pipe up to the bend through the wall.

Exercise caution if attempting to work from a ladder, those plastic fittings can be bl**dy tight. If you can rotate the pipe back and forth gently you may be lucky and find it works it's way out without too much trouble. Once top section is free it may be as well to saw through the branch pipe, fit a new junction, and branch pipe, then rejoin to the bend the using a 'slip' coupling.

A coat of gloss paint on plastic pipework offers protection from the UV rays from the sun that causes the plastic to degrade and become brittle.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice ill look into replacing the suggested parts. I can see the problem being getting it apart! Might as you suggest saw through the pipe and then look at getting the junction out somehow without hopefully breaking it all!

As the pipe is for the toilet am I running a risk of getting covered in you know what ha?

There may be some slight residue in the pipe, just make sure you're above it when cutting/taking apart. Otherwise it should be empty, just ban anyone from using the bathroom until you've finished otherwise you may get a shower earlier than intended.... :LOL:

Once top section is free, (or if preferred cut through and fit a slip collar above the branch to rejoin), then put a saw through the branch pipe to free that off, the junction should release with a gentle tapping from a hammer, if you twist it side to side at the same time it should come apart without too much drama.

If you haven't worked with plastic pipes before, then chamfer all cut ends prior to jointing, and put a smear of pipe lubricant around the rubber seals before pushing the pipe home into the socket. Slip collars, advisable to mark the depth required to fit into the socket on one half of the pipe, then when pulling the collar back to make the joint you know collar is evenly spaced over the two sections.

I found a very good tool for getting these apart. It is a rubber strap that feeds back on itself with a bit handle that has a serrated edge just wrap it round the pipe and you get a lot more leverage. thought they were called gator clamps or something like that but cannot find a link. The handles are normally bright orange or yellow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back