Burying Pipes In Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 1950s built house where the downstairs floor in concrete

For the most part we have dropped the radiators down from upstairs through walls but in the living room (round bay) where the radiators is located we have had to cut a floor channel.

This we have done and the plumbers has run the pipes 9 part copper part plastic to the radiators and its covered in some green foamy stuff (anyone know what this is called)

Are we now ok to concrete on top of this?

I have been reading that pipes need to be covered in something before being buried in the concrete id just like to double check (going to call the plumber monday too) but was hoping to bury the pipes today.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the bit that would concern me is the part copper part plastic bit. Do you mean to say there are two joints in the pipes to be concreted over ?

MrsGarner,

Perhaps you wold care to read the WRAS: "October 2012, Information Note, Schedule 2 Para 7 explained"

Or read the thread below: Changing Pipes - Thursday August 1 2013. Ignore the controversy and read the technical suggestions.

Dont bury anything until its been tested under pressure.

Sponsored Links
OP you have got to be kidding us

He's not a plumber he's a bloody cowboy

the green stuff is expanding foam

This is the pic you tried to attach earlier - twice. ;)

Covered in foam? Partly covered, you mean. There are too many gaps in that foam. Concrete and copper do not play nicely together. Would have been better wrapped in Denso Tape.
A push-fit tee - buried in concrete???

Your plumber is doing a botch job, especially if he knows you are burying the pipe in concrete.
You've not paid him yet, have you?

yes i have paid him - yes he has seen this and yes he knows its a concrete floor.

as the floor is concrete we also chased the walls down to the radiators and though i dont have pics of those they looks similar to what i have posted except thats its all copper pipe that has been used.... is this not right either?

If i had been told to use a special channel and cover I would have bought one as there is only about 3/4 meters of copper in the floor for this radiator the rest are in the walls (there are 3 down the wall and 1 in the floor)

could i not cover this with sand and then plywood? and lay the floor over the top? rather than concreting in?

i am not avoiding getting him back i have no issues with that as they have to 2nd fix the boiler/radiators anyway as there was no electric when they hung the boiler....

Screwfix Product Code: 72840 or 60783 if long run. no joints in pipe work at all trouble free installation. If joints, elbows, at each end make good with removable plate, I make my own, and test before filling in.

Make sure if you can to have no joints, if you do put removable plate over joint. No excuse really as 60783 & 85599 are 50m long, money well spent.

If your plumber wont do it without joints, get another one. :unsure:

Some expanding foam can attack copper and plastic tubing get him to check that. :eek:

can you post up some pics of the boiler & pipework, if he has done that with the floor & buried pipes in the wall, gods knows what he has done with the boiler & flue

as the floor is concrete we also chased the walls down to the radiators and though i dont have pics of those they looks similar to what i have posted except thats its all copper pipe that has been used.... is this not right either?

i am not avoiding getting him back i have no issues with that as they have to 2nd fix the boiler/radiators anyway as there was no electric when they hung the boiler....

I would have a lot of issues with what they have done

the boiler is in the loft and the flue out of the roof - this looks fine the pipes run down the bathroom wall and around the top of the house in the same positions they did before the only major changes is the pipework to the bay radiator and the wall radiators as this pipeworks= comes down and out of the wall to the radiators.

nothing has been concreted or plastered as yet

Adapt plates for floor if not to long channeling, spot glued in and should take light furniture weight but do check first if suitable for your needs as only 100mm wide, Screwfix 50174 if carpet and underlay, if laminate, tiles, NO joints in pipework is a must.

Hope your plumber is having a relaxing today cause its poo day Monday. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back