button on push button toilet sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The push button on my push button toilet is sticking in - and the toilet keeps flushing. its a side push button operated by cable and is a Siamp. (i'm guessing optima 50). just by removing the panel and moving it about can rectify the problem but obviously not practical. i've disconnected the fitting on the cable from the push button nut and now not sure whether i need a new cable fitting or push button. there is no sping action in the push button when disconnected - not sure if there should be?

Any advice on how to tell whether its the push button, or cable fitting, or something else?

If its the cable is it possible to change this from above / without draining as access looks really difficult

thanks

Sponsored Links
More likely the cable.
Check it's not kinking or damaged.
Does it work ok by just operating the cable when disconnected from the button ?
Sometimes a sqiurt of wd40 etc down the inner cable can free it they can become stiff in the outer cable.

Swap it for a punumatic/air pressure type far better IMHO. The cable type kink and rust easily in the dampness.

Sponsored Links
thanks yes it works fine without the button - and doesnt look blocked but can only see one end. the problem seems to be that its reluctant to work linked to the button when in the position its installed in. when i've got the panel in my hand it works fine so i'm guessing the bend radius of the cable is just a bit tight or something - but having said that's its been fine for 2 years.

can the cable be changed by fiddling in the cistern from above?

or any other ideas how to fix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back