buying a boiler, manufacturer and accessories?

I always thought he was allowed to do gas work as a 'competent' person who is receiving no payment at all....

He is, but the OP has mentioned having the work certified by a Gas Safe Registered person. The only way that person can do this is through GWN. You can't GWN for people outside your registration.

Sponsored Links
I always thought he was allowed to do gas work as a 'competent' person who is receiving no payment at all....
... at any point, in any form (including payment in kind), NOR EXPECT to be paid in any form or at any time.

You can't do any of the gas bits (including disconnecting and removing any existing boiler from the gas pipe) and you can't fit the flue, everything else is fine. Get your tame plumber to cap off the gas to the old boiler before you start and all will be good.
move on.

You see even gas registered people can get it wrong.

An RGI is required to FIT the boiler mounting bracket!

An RGI is also required to COMMISSION the boiler ( as that involves gas measurements! ).

Right, a little confuse what I can and can't do know. Having spoken with my plumber today who is happy to finish/ commission my boiler. As I understand it
I can Hang the boiler, connect all water pipes, drill the flue
He can connect the gas, connect the flue and commission

Sponsored Links
An RGI is required to FIT the boiler mounting bracket!

What is it that you cannot understand about that?

Although you seem to be using a questionable RGI who is not very interested in doing things correctly!

Would he let you post his gas number on here? I doubt it !

Tony

Dont think he would ever do anything that would risk. Just because i dont have a certificate does not mean i am not competent to do it. Most of it aint difficult (note i said most). I thought the regs state that someone should be competent, not necessarily qualified. Competent is ambigous term. It is not like i would not get it all checked over and commissioned properly.

There are the same issues with electrics but how many people do their own. My old man fitted my last fuse board. He was an elecrical engineer for 50 years and could do it in his sleep, however he was never an electrician so shouldnt install it if you interpret the regs that only qualified people can do the work.

This dodging & diving seems fine&dandy until..... then watch the fur fly - I have seen it and it ain't pritty. Insurance companies take a very dim view of 'audit trail deficiencies'. But hey ho, its your home, you obviously know best.

DH

Whenever I have asked my question above, I don;t think the recipient has ever managed to respond adequately... will be interesting to see how we get on here.

As you say. It's all fine until the sh1t hits the fan.

By then though it is too late. :cry:

It seems to have been overlooked that i said my plumber would do the gas work and final connections.

It seems to have been overlooked that i said my plumber would do the gas work and final connections.

How will he varify/ check the pipe run, bore of same etc and other work that would normally be undertaken by a registered installer that you carry out short of connections at the boiler?

Yes, he will do all of the gas. It is only 1m from the gas meter so not worth doing any gas work anyway.

I will do all of the water side of things

He is not doing what an RGI should do.

But if you want to be covered then you must ensure that the installation is notified to Building Control and that you get a Certificate POSTED to you!

Tony

As I understand it, a private householder may work on his own system if competent - this is his choice and privilege.

He may not work for anyone else under any circumstances if not registered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back