buying a boiler, manufacturer and accessories?

OMG. Competence argument raises it's head again.

Wake me up when its over.

Sponsored Links
Most industries see competence as someone being Suitably qualified and experienced. A lot of people see it as just qualified. I would much rather do my own boiler work than use someone who is newly qualified.

You are right though, I did not intend for a debate on competence, I simply asked a few reasonable questions originally

Might be worth repeating any questions you still want answering now to kill off the debate...

Sponsored Links
When the ugly question of competence is raised there is always a mass debate.....

Well how about you go and mass-debate ;) by yourself and let the OP get his questions out

Well how about you go and mass-debate ;) by yourself and let the OP get his questions out

The guy has already asked his question. This type of question always ends up in the same madness and I have learned not to take it too seriously....... At the end of the day the OP will do exactly as the OP wishes and the pros get hypertensive....Same old, same old

Looks like you RGI's have had enough of this 'competence' issue. Seems that it surfaces quite a lot but can I ask the obvious follow-on question?

Suppose a DIY'er, who thought he/she had sufficient knowledge and skill, carried out gas work on their own gas system and it ended in disaster (it must have happened sometime?) such that the law got involved. What would happen to the DIY'er (assuming he/she survived)? Does anyone know of an actual case - if so, what was the outcome?

I suspect that the use of the word 'competence' in the regs. is deliberate and vague - the sort of word used to scare off DIY'ers. I suspect it may be toothless. It would be interesting to know if the word 'competence', in this context, had ever been interpreted or challenged in law.

If you really must ask that I suggest you start your own topic rather than hijacking someone else's...

Diy'ers :) A&E is full of them , poked there eye out , shot themselves with a nail gun ect there was 1 case were a bloke cut his throat ( he's dead ) by hiring an angle grinder & putting a circular saw blade in it , to cut a tree down !! :eek:

They run riot in there homes & than flog them on to some un-suspecting buyer , "4 soile pipe notched into joists :) bodged up plumbing :) diy electrics , u see em in merchants at the week ends , clogging up the trade counters, (generally with there out of control children running riot) seeking advice ??

Always a laugh going in on a Saturday just to see them - in fairly tidy jeans, many pairs of trainers and plasters on their fingers

I am sure its the only reason my merchants open on Saturdays - entertainment value. They shut at 12 as A & E reaches saturation ;)

Best ones are where they've kinked the tails of some ponsy tap they've bought on eBay for tuppence and are trying to match the thread.

I like to think I am a bit more than a DIYer. Although I am not a tradesman, I work in the trade and I have now built 2 houses entirely myself from below the ground up. ok I have paid for a plaster as that is more of an art, but that is it. So I have done it myself but it is a bit more than Do It Yourself. I work my nuts off during the day, come home to my wife and kids and then work my nuts off during the evening, into the nights and weekends. To be fair, I am quite proud of what I have achieved and get fed up of some (not all, some are very helpful on here) professionals saying that everything should be left to them. I get that there are some things that are required to be left to the proffesionals but some/a lot of things can be done by a consciencous DIYer. They may not be able to do it as quickly but anything an be done if you try hard enough. Sorry, rant over.

there was 1 case were a bloke cut his throat ( he's dead ) by hiring an angle grinder & putting a circular saw blade in it , to cut a tree down !!

That guy posted on gd. Some of the guys over there advised him not to do it afaik.

I like to think I am a bit more than a DIYer. Although I am not a tradesman, I work in the trade and I have now built 2 houses entirely myself from below the ground up. ok I have paid for a plaster as that is more of an art, but that is it. So I have done it myself but it is a bit more than Do It Yourself. I work my nuts off during the day, come home to my wife and kids and then work my nuts off during the evening, into the nights and weekends. To be fair, I am quite proud of what I have achieved and get fed up of some (not all, some are very helpful on here) professionals saying that everything should be left to them. I get that there are some things that are required to be left to the proffesionals but some/a lot of things can be done by a consciencous DIYer. They may not be able to do it as quickly but anything an be done if you try hard enough. Sorry, rant over.

Fair enough, but you didn't answer my question from earlier. Also, do you own a manometer? Based on you only getting a plaster/artisan in for the trcky bit ;) :unsure: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back