Can't fine mono basin taps suitable for mains CW/gravity HW!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I'm having a new bathroom fitted in a couple of weeks and the basin we've ordered has only got one tap hole. The problem is is that our cold water is mains fed and our hot water is gravity fed - I can't find a mono mixer that can cope with this. Am I missing something???

I quite like the look of this tap:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/mirang-mono-basin-mixer/invt/195014/

Can this cope with unbalanced feeds? (and how do I even check to see if it does?)

Is the proper solution to use a PRV to reduce the pressure of the cold so that I can go for any low pressure mono mixer? Or can someone point me in the right direction of a modern looking mono mixer suitable for my feeds...

Many thanks in advance,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
The Wickes one doesn't say either way, so most likely NOT suitable.

The words you are missing are 'dual flow', so search for 'dual flow basin mixer' and you should be able to find something suitable.
They are not common, as dual flow taps are normally only used for kitchen sinks.

Is there no way you can get a gravity cold feed to the basin?

Cheers for your response, flameport.

A gravity cold water feed is only really possible if I rip up a lot of floorboards in rooms that have already been decorated. This is something I really want to avoid doing!

What about a pressure equalising valve? Will this solve my problem?

Seen them for .1Bar pressure, so that's about 1M head - that any good?
If fact we fitted a cheapo mono basin mixer for a tight git last week, it was .2Bar & worked OK on a Low Pressure system.

Sponsored Links
Our header tank is about 2-2.5 metres above the taps so I seem to have a few mono mixers to choose from if I use a PEV. Where did you see the .1 bar and .2 bar mono basin mixers, mate?

I don't mind spending the cash, I just don't want to rip up carpets and floorboards to run a CW gravity feed!

What about Toolstation code 80003. They look very much like the above Wicks' ones.
Why can't you live with an inbalance or just fit a isovalve & turn it back a bit?

Yes, provided your hot pressure is above the minimum required to operate the valve.
One possible example: http://www.bes.co.uk/product/110~PL~1965~1965~-Water-Pressure-Equalising-Valve.html

Why can't you live with an inbalance or just fit a isovalve & turn it back a bit?
Probably because he doesn't want hot water being forced into the cold storage tank in the loft every time the basin tap is used.
Turning off a valve a bit won't help either - it will reduce the flow, but the pressure will be the same.

Hi chaps,

I'm having a new bathroom fitted in a couple of weeks and the basin we've ordered has only got one tap hole. The problem is is that our cold water is mains fed and our hot water is gravity fed - I can't find a mono mixer that can cope with this. Am I missing something???

I quite like the look of this tap:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/mirang-mono-basin-mixer/invt/195014/

Can this cope with unbalanced feeds? (and how do I even check to see if it does?)

Is the proper solution to use a PRV to reduce the pressure of the cold so that I can go for any low pressure mono mixer? Or can someone point me in the right direction of a modern looking mono mixer suitable for my feeds...

Many thanks in advance,
Paul.

just buy whatever one you want its unlikley that you will even have both taps on at same time but regardless it will work fine almost all taps now are designed for mains pressure but i fit whichever one the customer wants and have never had a problem

Toolstation code 71128 is very like the Wicks tap you linked, .2Bar & suitable for low pressure.
HTH

Thanks for all your responses, guys.

I'll get a mono mixer (that has a minimum of 0.2 bar) and fit it with a couple of non-return valves and I'll see how it performs. I can always fit a PEV if the mix goes from scalding hot to freezing cold with a degree of a turn.

And cheers, DeltaT2. Those taps do look very similar to the Wickes one. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Yes, provided your hot pressure is above the minimum required to operate the valve.
One possible example: http://www.bes.co.uk/product/110~PL~1965~1965~-Water-Pressure-Equalising-Valve.html

Probably because he doesn't want hot water being forced into the cold storage tank in the loft every time the basin tap is used.
Turning off a valve a bit won't help either - it will reduce the flow, but the pressure will be the same.

That's complete rubbish mate, think about it. There's 1000 if mixer taps fitted with a huge inbalance. There's no way it would go back up into the header tank.....it's an open tap....Doh!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back