Can't light pilot light on boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if anyone on here would have any advice?

Had a pipe drilled into today so had national grid over and had an egineer to fix it and is all working again, fire, cooker etc. However, pilot light has gone out on boiler and can't relight..wondered if anyone would have any advice?

I can't upload a picture for some reason but the boiler has a grey dial from numbers 0-6 and an orange button next to the dial

Any advice???

Sponsored Links
Make and model of boiler?

Does the pilot light actual start, but then go out? or can't you get it to light at all?

If the latter - keep trying. Or call national Grid back and get them to purge the system properly.

If the former then you will need an RGI.

But with the info provided that about as good as advice can get.

What make & model is the boiler?

The 'engineer' who attended should, by rights, have re-lit all gas appliances.

A procedure often refered to as 'Purge&Relight'.

There's a good chance you've merely not got enough gas to ignite. Try holding the button in, as you normally would, but for at least a minute.

This will get any 'pockets of air' out of the pipework, and introduce enough gas to allow you to ignite it easily.

When you attempt to 'spark' do you see anything where the Pilot assembly is? can you see a spark? If not, you'll need a new HT Lead or Spark Electrode.

If it is sparking, and you get a flame, but after holding it for at least 10 seconds and slowly letting go, the flame goes out, you may well need a new Thermocouple.

The spark electrode & thermocouple will require removing the case, thus the need for a registered gas engineer to attend.

Mmmm. not much appliane info there, chum. Expect Baxipotti, to come up with a LOOOONG list of possibles :D

When you were reinstated, they should have purged at all the appliances.

What is make and model? is there a grey button as well?

Sponsored Links
I've just finished a shift, waiting for the missus to come home and make me some tea!

I actually live in Manchester, if she's any longer, I think I'll end up doing a foreigner! haha

[I was joking. I will not actually attend your property.]

Not sure of the make on model as believe it or not, the whole thing is pretty much encased by kitchen cupboards and there is only a hole about the size of the bottom third of the boiler in the side of the cupboard where I can actually see through.

No grey button, just the grey dial and orange button, been pressing an holding for 20-30 seconds but with no luck!

Will try holding longer.

God, another wind up?

If not:

The RGI's probably should have AR'd the boiler.

Anyway, if your pressing and holding an ORANGE button you are probably wasting your time, as that is likely to be the ignitor. You have to hold in the gas valve button, and repeatedly press teh orange one to ignite. And hold the valve button, normally grey. Unless it is actually red beside a white.

Quality posts in here at the moment...........not. What's it gonna be like in the Winter?
I'm not referring to the people trying to help.

Had a pipe drilled into today so had national grid over and had an egineer to fix it and is all working again, fire, cooker etc. However, pilot light has gone out on boiler and can't relight..wondered if anyone would have any advice?

Any advice???

Did you have three different engineers then?

Any advice???

Did you have three different engineers then?

Are you baCk in the Drugs, tony?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back