Central Heating 15mm vs. 22mm pipework and column radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to replace our ground floor radiators with Acova column radiators from B&Q and I'm interested in gauging opinion with regards to specific system requirements suggested by one of the quoting plumbers.

We live in a small, Victorian house and currently have 4 standard radiators (2 larger doubles, 2 small singles) on the ground floor. We are going to going to remove the (smallest) one in the Kitchen (to be replaced with electric underfloor) and replace the other 3 with fairly sizeable column radiators.

Our current central heating system is a Vaillant 24KW combi with 22mm pipe running from the boiler to the split for the ground and first floor loops, where both change to 15mm pipework with the ground currently serving 4 and the first floor serving 3 radiators.

We've had 3 quotes for replacing the radiators downstairs and one plumber said we should be changing the ground floor loop to 22mm pipework otherwise the system wouldn't work properly. I said that I thought you were ok on 15mm with 3 radiators, which it will be once kitchen rad is removed, and he said that with column radiators it is different and you won't get the required flow rates, but didn't elaborate.

Does anyone have any experience or views on this? Obviously we don't want to carry out unnecessary work. The plumber who suggested this was, unsurprisingly, way above the others on cost and the plumber we are going with hasn't said this is necessary, however I don't want to ask about it in case they see it as an opportunity to make more money from us!

Thanks, Andy

Sponsored Links
Work out the KW of the 3 rads and if less than 5.9 kw max you should be ok with 15mm pipe.

Thanks Onecog, the 3 rads only come to 4.0KW so I guess we'll be ok.

Any ideas why column radiators would be any different?

Sponsored Links
Asthetically 22mm tails look better when installing these type radiators , of course 22mm valves will be required if radiator has been supplied with ¾ /1" tappings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back