Central heating - doesn't work in the afternoon/evening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I previously posted on this site when the central heating didn't work but now I seem to have another problem.

I bought my house a couple of months ago and the heating system is a Vokera Compact HE 25 with an Altech/Salus 014 thermostat.

The problem is that everything works fine but only on the morning settings - the central heating doesn't work when the thermostat calls for heat during pm hours.

The boiler itself has four dials (from left to right); 1. Water temperature 2. A dial that has snow flake, a power button symbol and sun symbol (what do these mean? The Vokera online manuals doesn't have this. Currently set to snow flake) 3. Radiator temperature and 4. Time clock (all white pegs pushed into inner circle with a switch to the right with three settings- up, middle and down - set to up).

The Altech thermostat is calling for heat (I assume as denoted by a flashing flame like symbol). This goes on and off at the required times (either during the hour slots or when the room temperate is reached) and behaves exactly as it does in the morning slots.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is the problem the thermostat or the boiler? Is it to do with any of the setting described above?

I have a British Gas service next week but don't know whether to call them out sooner.

Sponsored Links
I would have suspected the time clock on the boiler except that the up position is permanently off according to the manual.

It might be worth switching this right down to the ON position to see if it has any effect at all this evening. I suppose the timer may have been disconnected and could have no bearing at all on the fault.

Most important is to check that the green light on the thermostat receiver is on when you think the heating should be running. If it isn't, the problem is likely something to do with the programming of the thermostat.

Thanks for your reply. The thermostat receiver attached to the boiler has one fixed green light and one fixed red light.

I will change the thermostat to the on position - but it seems strange if it works in the morning on this setting and has previously worked in the evening on this setting.

The boiler is showing intermittant flashing green light which according to the manual is no fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back