Central heating install question ?? Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I’ve decided to rip out the awful storage heaters in my house and put in a combi boiler system. I have decided to do a feed and return system for the pipework and had a few questions.

Is it best to have a 22mm flow pipe with 15mm branches, and a 15mm return pipe? or should the return pipe also be 22mm.

I am probably going to have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus boiler installed, Do I need a pressure relief valve in the system? if so where? or does the boiler take this into account is all the valves are shut ?

I am happy to do all the pipe runs and install TRV,s etc, and was also wondering if people could give me an idea of how much installation and commissioning of the boiler would cost ? Im thinking about £400-£500?

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The return pipe shoul always be equal to the flow pipe, but
you should be aware that th design of a heating system is more than guess work!! ;)

Thanks for the reply, Im fairly competent and have worked out the required BTU's / heat loads etc. Will also be consulting someone qualified before i start any of this, just thought it best to check on the points im not 100% sure of.

Thanks again.

BTUs?

For the last 40 years things have been worked out in kilowatts!

Sponsored Links
Also a pressure relief valve doesn't have anything to do with valves.

Think he means bypass. Don't worry about a bypass, the boiler will have one. You need to have a bypass rad anyhow, ie. one with no TRV on it - just an ordinary wheel-head and a lock-shield valve. The bypass rad needs to be in room/hall where the room stat is.

Think he means bypass. Don't worry about a bypass, the boiler will have one. You need to have a bypass rad anyhow, ie. one with no TRV on it - just an ordinary wheel-head and a lock-shield valve. The bypass rad needs to be in room/hall where the room stat is.

Bypass rad :?: :?: No such thing :!: What are you talking about :?:

Bypass rad :?: :?: No such thing :!: What are you talking about :?:

Whilst the rad without TRVs is not stictly a bypass - you may be taking my use of this term too literally - it still provides a permanently open route in the ch system. This obviously isn't needed, because, as I stated, the boiler has it's own bypass.

I hope my expaination is sufficiently clear for you. I think everyone else reading this grasped the meaning of what I wrote.

Thanks for all the replies, I have 2 last questions, feel free to go easy on me.

Is there a limit or recommended maximum length when branching to a radiator, and the design of the system means it will probably have 2 tee's from the flow pipe, is there anything that I need to take into account for the tees ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back