central heating system losing pressure on new install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced the existing central heating system myself using SPeedfit. Put 1.5bar of pressure on Thursday to test and it's dropped to 1.25 bar. The system's been off.

I can't find any leaks at the joints and am wondering if this pressure drop may be due to the plastic expanding slightly under pressure? All rads have been bled so no air in the system I know of.

Is it normal for a plastic system to drop a bit of pressure when newly installed?

Before I get asked, yes I have used barrier pipe :)

Sponsored Links
Could be release of air around the system, I would have thought that the pressure would have dropped to zero if there was a leak ;)

Thanks - that's what I thought re a leak should drop pressure quicker. I found it in the end, a tiny leak from a joint not nipped up enough. It's one of the few compressions I have to allow plastic to chrome. It leaked very little but is all sorted an water tight now. First time I used plastic so I suspected it may have expanded slightly.

Dan. Not sure what manual you're referring to - it wont be any boiler's one as 10 bar would blow a boiler and is well above mains pressure. I've even seen rads that wont go that high.

Sponsored Links
Speed fit should be tested to 10bar for 10 mins then dropped down to 2 bar for a further 10 min test

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back