Change a washer on this tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have included in my album an image of a tap I am trying to change a washer on. I have unscrewed the bottom part with a wrench but that's it. I think I need to get to a screw under the blue coloured part of the tap but I cant get it off. Am I doing it right?. Any tips?.

Sponsored Links
Yep, the cross head has to come off.....either there is a screw in the side, or the coloured disc is prised off to reveal a screw beneath.
With the top off, its the embellisher next, followed by the brass nutted insert behind that.
Do try to stop the tap body from turning!
John :)

Use a small flat screwdriver to prise off the blue plastic cap and you will find a metal screw underneath it, undo the screw and the tap head should just lift off or a bit of gentle persuasion will shift it.

View media item 62053

Yeah that's what I thought. Been trying to remove the blue disc with a sharp knife and a screw driver but its not going well. Ill just have to keep at it.... Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sadly you will almost certainly make the index unusable in the process of removing it.

Hello. I have included in my album an image of a tap I am trying to change a washer on. I have unscrewed the bottom part with a wrench but that's it. I think I need to get to a screw under the blue coloured part of the tap but I cant get it off. Am I doing it right?. Any tips?.

The screw should be under the blue enameled disk. You'll have to be careful removing it so as not to damage it. Or you can replace the entire fitting all together once you have that part removed.

First, it is plastic, not enamelled.
Second, your surreptitious free advertising will get you nowhere, Yank. We're Brits.

Very humourous:

But deleted

Either fit a fairly cheap, but more modern looking pair of taps or a conversion kit.
Get rid of those utilitarian, council taps.

Fully open the tap with the water off, then turn and move up the bell shaped part to reveal the nut to undo. (Im not a plumber but they look like some taps I have removed before!)

Rarely enough room for a spanner, but might be worth a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back